A Letter To My Friends, Part One

A Letter To My Friends, Part One

Thank you for shaping me into who I am today.

7
A Letter To My Friends, Part One
Alexa Caponigro

Throughout our lives, we grow in and out of friendships. Every friendship in our lives impacts us to a different degree, but overall impacts us with each one. From your friend in preschool whom you shared Play-Doh with to your college friends gossiping about the sucky frat boys, each one left their imprint on you.

In every friendship, growth occurs, whether it is growing together, apart, or growing from a friendship "break-up." In the end, each and everyone formed me to who I am today and I couldn't thank these friendships enough. Therefore, this goes out to my friendships that have lasted years, months, or even minutes (you know, like one of the dope people you meet at a party for a couple of minutes then basically spill your whole life story).

Childhood Friendships

Alexa Caponigro

My childhood friendships make me feel alive. They are the ones that bring a smile to my face because of the purity, happiness, and adventure they brought me. As a kid, there was no worry in the world, it was a time of pure enjoyment. My friends and I would play Cops and Robbers, playing house in Rachel, my best friend/neighbor's shed, or even ride our bikes around the block. Any simple doing or activity-filled each and every one of us with the biggest smile.

As I grew up, the simple childhood friendships offered me so much when looking back on it. Looking back, it is hard to grasp memories from preschool, but I met one of my best friends from it, Courtney. Through this friendship, we grew together throughout the years in so many ways. From dressing up in princess dresses in preschool, playing soccer in elementary school, first crushes/relationships in middle school, late-night car drives blasting Tame Impala, or Billie in high school to college where we set out on our own paths.

Courtney, your compassion, creativity, and perseverance are beyond admirable, Through this attitude, you impacted me so greatly in offering me a different perspective on life, thus opening my eyes to a variety of new things. Thus, I wouldn't be obsessed with Ashbury Coffee House (even though I don't like coffee, their hot cocoa is to die for) or alternative music if it weren't for you.

Middle School Friendships

In middle school, we all search to find our group. I remember the first day of middle school so vividly, everyone frantically searching to find their friends in first period or save seats so no random person would sit next to you. Everyone divided the room on what elementary school you went to until the teachers made us intermix. Bless the teachers for that because I wouldn't have met some of my best friends.

Middle school was the first time we hung out with boys, dealt with relationships, and dealt with the weird stages of puberty. Middle school was a time of getting used to life, in my opinion. You are trying to figure out the different changes both physically and mentally in your body and all around you. Everyone during this time is on two different stages, but during this, each of us helped one another, such as the period talk or even working up the courage to talk to your crush at Party in the Park.

My friends in middle school offered me a sense of confidence and adventure. During this time in my life, my friends and I would get season passes to Six Flags every year and go ALLL the time. Through rain or shine, we always had a blast or some drama over the littlest things. Middle school friendships were the first time you experienced drama whether with boys, bullies, or other girls. Also, in this time, talking about others occurred, in which you learn it's a typical teenage girl thing no matter how horrible it is.

However, without this sense of drama, which is bizarre, I would never have met my best friend Hanna. Every time I reminisce about our friendship, it's probably one of the weirdest bonds formed. Hanna and I hated each other with a burning passion, which is funny to look back on now. One time in middle school, Hanna threw a huge party with all of my friends and did not invite me. However, fast forward a few weeks, and it's her and me against the world. Our friendship has grown in so many ways, she is like my sister. We can honestly go from little arguments to having a sleepover, it is a bond that is always there and cherished even though we don't always get the time to chat.

Hanna, your confidence, selflessness, and strength are some of the best things I could have asked for in a friend. Your willingness to put others before yourself and not care what others think is commendable. I adore our memories together, like vacations to California or Tennessee, car rides to Lake Katherine, and simple pool days at your house. Every moment together is never dull and your gift of friendship has awarded me a sister for life. A sister who is there for me no matter what, someone to be weird with (like dancing in the rain or taking random timer pics hanging from soccer goal) or a shoulder to cry on.

To all my childhood and middle school friends, especially the ones I did not mention specifically, thank you. You all have impacted my life for the greater good and helped me find who I am as a person, whether it be from pushing me to be my absolute best or offering me endless memories of our treasured friendship.

As I only touched upon childhood and middle school friendships, the ones that impacted me most reside in my later years of high school and college. I decided to delve deeper into this more in another article soon, so I can truly express my gratitude to these friendships.