​9 Simple Ways To Be A Better You

​9 Simple Ways To Be A Better You

If you are feeling like you need a change in your life, try some of these tips!

5
​9 Simple Ways To Be A Better You
Catherine Miller

Sometimes, when you stop and think, things become more clear. As I sit by the water and watch boats pass, with the soundtrack of children rolling down grassy hills, and the sun reflecting off the sides of the Tampa buildings shining on my face, I begin to think about how everything connects. I begin to think about how everyone has a story, and how people take advantage of the fact that there are 7 billion of us on this earth. I invite everyone who reads this to think about their life and how it was one year ago, today. How have you changed, how have your surroundings changed, how has your family changed. Are you happier or are you in a darker place? If you are unhappy I challenge you to explore why. Appreciate how each person has their own story and set out to learn. Open your mind. Find your passions. Experiment until you find peace. We are all just trying to find our own way, but the thing that most fail to realize is that we shouldn't be doing it on our own.

1. Spend Time Outside

Whether it is going on a hike and seeing things that leave you speechless or stepping outside for a few more minutes than usual, everyone has a starting point. Once you commit to spending time outside soon you won't be able to spend a whole day inside again.

2. Expand Your Music Taste

R&B, pop, alternative, rap, soul, instrumental, EDM, rock- whatever it may be, feel the music fully. Listen to the words, tap your foot, nod your head, attend concerts. Find people with the same interests and keep in touch with them. And also remember, being around others with the same interests as you can help you find things you like, but being around people with different tastes can help you too.

3. Go to Museums

So many people have so much art and beauty to bring to the world, from the past and the present. Seeing pieces of art from the past helps us understand, and seeing pieces of art from the present helps us progress. Art helps form a timeline; it gives history its visual component. Take advice from The Front Bottoms and contribute to the chaos. I dare you to create.

4. People-Watch and Pay Attention

Educate yourself by watching other people’s behaviors. Be aware and be present. Learn from other people’s mistakes and support people when you see them making a difference. Be there for other people when they need someone to lean on and be strong for them if you can muster up the energy. If not, just let them know you’re there.

5. Listen

Don't just speak, listen. Why were we given two ears and one mouth? Because we should listen twice as more as we speak, that’s what my mom always says. Generate a well-thought out response instead of brushing people off or letting someone’s words go in one ear and out the other. Put effort into your relationships.

6. Make Lists

Happy lists, songs that make you feel something, why it's good to be alive, who you're most thankful for, bucket lists, things that have brought you down, and reasons why you should never do them again. Cultivate your own well being. Read your lists over and over again and keep making them until your heart’s content.

7. Strike Conversation

Ask people how they are or how their day has been so far and actually care about their response instead of just expecting an, “I’m good, and you?” If you show you care about someone else they will probably do the same and then a cycle of good karma will start. What goes around comes around and don’t you want to know that you have something to look forward to.

8. Read and Write

Some of the best lessons come from fictional stories and writings in alternative universes. There are so many books that it may be overwhelming, but take them one at a time and expand your mind. Reading other people’s work can even help you find your own muse. Journal entries, poems, short stories, novels- it’s up to you! Writing is limitless, that’s why it can help you feel differently. You can write 20 pages or you can stop half way through your piece because you don’t feel like finishing.

9. Take Pictures

I’ve read the quote, “If you want to learn what someone fears losing, watch what they photograph.” You can be present at the same time you’re taking pictures. So many times I hear people saying, “Put your phone down and enjoy the experience.” I used to feel guilty about taking pictures, but then I realized that they are mutually exclusive and you can take pictures while also taking in what is around you. Some people use cameras and are called photographers and some are 19 with an iPhone, and some are both.

If you’ve been feeling down and disconnected I encourage you to try one of these that may have struck your attention, or all of them if you feel so inclined. Sometimes, something’s gotta give. And just remember to be kind. You never know how much someone could be going through.