9 TIPS TO GROW YOUR DISCORD SERVER IMMEDIATELY

59

Discord is where all the real conversations are happening today. Running a discord server is a real job now, among many responsibilities includes making sure your users are engaged, happy, playing nice with one another, and following the rules set forth at yourserver. At discord servers with thousands of users, it is no longer a job capable by one person. Implementing the right team, discord bots, and rules are incredibly important to further member growth.

Let's get down to our top 9 discord tips any server can benefit from:

1. Use discord bots

Discord bots provide a lot of automation your server will want to maximize to its fullest. This includes discord bots like MEE6 that will manage roles and moderate your server. It is really important to filter any harmful or NSFW content and keep spammers from destroying the community. Some other types of discord game bots include the likes of games like L00t that keep users engaged and provide fun and entertainment for the community at large. L00t is particularly useful for growing your server and providing more context for your members to enjoy themselves.

2. One size doesn't fit all

Every server will go through various stages of growth. Be prepared to adapt and change it as your server grows. Managing a 10 person server is different than one with 10,000 members. You should stay flexible as the needs of your server and its audience will change over time.

3. Stick to your policy

Flexibility to change as your server grows is important. But what is considered OK and what is NOT OK should not be compromised. You want to stick to your server policies, whatever it may be, as much as possible, this way it's clear to your members what is expected of them and also the consequences. Sometimes you will need to sacrifice a tree for the forest and make an example to show that you are serious about your policies.

4. Pay attention to influencers

Not all users are equal. Some users are very social people, whether it is their twitter following or they are a popular streamer. One person can easily bring a large audience to your server while some may never be able to. You generally want to treat everybody fairly and equally, but there are times when a few people are just more important and you want to make sure they experience and see your server in its best light.

5. Change things up

Changing things like names, colors, and aesthetics give your server a bit of fresh air. It's like changing of seasons or a fresh coat of paint to a house. Don't let things get too old, you want to keep things fresh, it will liven up your server and also let all your members know it is being taken care of. For example, change things up to let everybody know it's Christmas, change things up to celebrate different festivities.

6. Engage your community

The worst thing you can do as a small server is treat users like they are a number. It is important to engage your community and listen to their needs. At the end of the day, every member is a real person sitting on the other side of that chat room, treat them like real people want to be treated and make sure you pay attention to who they are. Ultimately, people are hanging out at discord to chat, show care and respect.

7. Facilitate conversation

Once you're past 100+ members, it will be hard to remember each individual, their hobbies and preferences. The key is to start facilitating conversation among members. Create channels based on interests, use game bots (yes, L00t) to provide more context and reasons for members to discuss things among themselves. Everything you can find to help facilitate more discussion and interactions between users will help. Once successful, this will pay dividends again and again to your server growth.

8. Delegate responsibility

Delegate jobs and responsibility to trusted members. You can't do it all and you shouldn't try to. Don't act like the boss and feel like you need to have final say in every little decision that is being made. You want to delegate as much responsibility as possible so that the server can run without you. Let me repeat that again, you want to delegate responsibility so that the server can run on its own. This will take time and for you to trust your team, trust them and give them a chance to make mistakes. We're all human, we all make mistakes.

9. Have fun!

Don't forget to have fun. After all, discord is a place to hang out and chat with friends new and old. Members can feel it if the server is no fun. Make sure you are spontaneous and light hearted, it is easy to forget the point of the server when you're managing five things at the same time.