9 Things I Have Learned Since Graduating High School

High school sucks but it doesn't compare to the real world.

23
rolandmartinreports.com

Driving home from my summer college class, I suddenly realized that I have been graduated and out of high school for two years now. I began thinking about how not only time flies fast but how much harder life is becoming. I can remember senior year thinking about how I couldn't wait to get out of that place and really start my life. Boy dos I not realize how easy I had it. Sure high school sucked but what doesn't? I've learned a lot in my two years out but I'm sure there's still plenty I need to know. Some things I've learned are:

1. People don't care if you succeed or fail.

Listen, no one really cares about if you get your degree or not. They don't care if you can or can't pay your bills. And they sure as heck don't care if you show up a little late to work because of some traffic. Do it or deal with it yourself because everyone's in it for themselves. I mean I'm not saying everyone will be rooting for you to fail, there are those few people that are gods gift but overall it's all on you.

2. Those people you thought were important in high school, really aren't.

That kid you had a huge crush on for years and didn't give you the time of day, he wasn't even worth it. You have so much more going for yourself and he's missing out. And those people who picked on you, they can barely support themselves and you'll be feeling sorry for them. It's nice to see how some people end up turning out.

3. Not everyone disappears.

Yes, I have seen friends come and go. Some people I thought I'd be friends with forever, I haven't seen since I graduated. It's sad but life goes on. However, the people you thought you'd never see again, end up becoming your best friends in the end. It's interesting to see how time effects friendships.

4. You realize your parents aren't completely evil and crazy.

I honestly couldn't wait to move out and be away but it's nice to come back and visit during breaks. You really start to realize how hard the real world is and realize the constant stress they're on.

5. You make friends with your coworkers, even if they're older than you by more than a few years.

I work as a CNA and I'm younger, if not the youngest, who works at my facility. Being the young one people can sometimes not take you serious. However, I have met some great people at my job and they make things a lot easier for me.

6. You'll start to appreciate your siblings more.

My sister can really get on my nerves. However, now that she only has two more years until she graduates, I can really see her maturing. It's interesting to see how close we are getting and how less we fight now.

7. Relationships can get complicated.

I've had my share of failing relationships and they've failed for all kinds of reasons. The older you get, the less crap you tolerate. I'm starting to really realize what I want in life and I'm not going to settle for anything less than I deserve.

8. Stress goes way up.

In high school I use to worry about gym class and band and boys. Now I'm way more stressed out about getting that degree. That is number one now and it's definitely the number one stressor. I'm fortunate that I don't have any major bills to pay yet (student loans will be getting me here in a few years) so I don't have that major stressor yet but I feel for those of you already taking on this challenge.

9. High school is called the best time of your life for a reason.

The reason is...it's easy! Get up, go to school, learn a little, and have fun with friends. For those of you complaining about high school, just wait until the real world gets you....