9 Reasons Why 'She's The Man' Is My Favorite Movie Of All Time

"And when I close my eyes, I see you for what you truly are, which is UGLAAAY!"

202
Dreamworks

We all have that one movie that we can watch a hundred times and not get bored. You know, that movie that you can quote almost every line in and laugh the same as you did the first time you saw it. For me, "She's the Man" is that movie. Not only is this movie hilarious with its iconic scenes but it also sheds light on female determination in the face of discrimination. In hopes to convince everyone that "She's the Man" is a must watch or re-watch, here are 9 reasons why "She's the Man" will forever hold a spot in my heart.

1. The plot, itself

After Cornwall cuts the girls' soccer team and the boys' coach denies her the opportunity to try out for the team due to sexist beliefs, Viola decides to take matters into her own hands — by impersonating her twin brother, Sebastian, and trying out for the boys' soccer team at Cornwall's rival school, Illyria. This turns out to be quite the adventure for Viola between proving herself on the field, fighting off the girls, and falling head over heels for her roommate Duke — who thinks she's a guy! It is truly a wild ride that keeps our eyes glued to the screen for the entire hour and forty-five minutes.

2. The Humor

When I made my boyfriend watch this movie for the first time last week, the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "You and Viola have the same kind of humor". I know he was trying to take a stab at my reputation of laughing at my own bad jokes, but for me, this was a compliment. This movie is simply iconic, and to this day, my mother and I still quote lines from our favorite scenes.

Who wouldn't get at least a smile out of things like Paul's "Inside every girl is a boy... that came out wrong" mishap or when Viola has to pull her fake sideburn off a child's face when she changes from Viola into Sebastian in a tilt-a-whirl cart. And who can forget when Duke takes Viola's advice and uses a tampon to stop a nosebleed. I mean, come on, that's pure comedy!

3. Channing Tatum!

Yes, Ladies, you heard right! Before Channing was getting down in "Magic Mike", he played our favorite soccer captain, Duke Orsino, in "She's the Man." Whether he's kicking a ball around a field, stumbling over his words around girls, or freaking out over a tarantula, we can't help but fall in love with him. I think at some point during the movie, we all wish we could take Viola's place, at least when she is actually Viola. Still, Channing Tatum did a wonderful job playing this role, and in my obviously non-bias opinion, this is one of his best movies.

4. "Do you like cheese?"

There is not much that can top the iconic scene when Viola tries to give Duke girl advice to aid his quest for Olivia's heart by telling him to ask if she likes cheese. Honestly, that should be the first thing you ask every person because the fate of your relationship is pretty dependent on their answer. However, the scene goes wrong when Viola freaks Duke out by using her normal voice to respond, "Why yes, I do. My favorite's Gouda!" right before they find Malvolio, the missing tarantula crawling around their dorm. This results in a hilarious frenzy in which Duke blames 'Sebastian' for using his 'girl' voice.

5. Viola dumps Justin

After the girls' team is cut, Viola tries to convince the boys' coach to let the girls try out. When he refuses, she hopes to find support from her boyfriend, Justin, who is the team captain for Cornwall's boys' soccer team. However, she finds quite the opposite, even though he told her that she was better than half his team the day before. This was the final straw, and I couldn't be happier that she cut his selfishness out of her life. His arrogant personality and feisty temper was a definite turn off.

6. "Sebastian" breaks up with Monique

I think all of us can agree that Sebastian's girlfriend was absolutely horrible in every way. From her dramatic fits of anger to her bitterly sarcastic comments, it just makes sense that she ends up with Justin of all people in the end. That wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Viola's dramatic and quite hilarious break-up scene in Cesario's. This scene stands as one of the most iconic moments during the film. No matter how many times you've seen the movie, you end up mouthing along with every word.

7. Viola's personality

I truly love this movie because I connected with Viola on a whole different level. Viola is me, and I am Viola. Simple as that. If someone told me that I couldn't do something, especially if the sole reason was the fact that I am a woman, I would try my hardest to prove them wrong. Growing up, I never thought there was anything that I couldn't do if I truly wanted to.

I never felt like my gender was something that defined who I was or what I could do. The fact that there are people who believe women cannot succeed or perform just as well as men due to their gender make me want to fight to break that stigma. I believe that She's the Man aids in that fight due to Viola's determination and mindset to join a rival boys' soccer team and prove her school wrong.

8. Duke's Perspective

My heart melts every time. This scene is one of my favorites because it shows a different side of Duke. He is no longer a jock that is obsessing over a girl that he finds attractive. It shows that he has feelings and wants that go past his surface level, which makes Viola want him even more.

This movie also helps to shine a light on the fact that every person is different and not just a mold of a stereotype that must be folded to a tee. Instead, it shows that you don't have to hide who you are just to fulfill a "manly" stereotype.

9. The complexity of it all

Duke likes Olivia. Olivia likes Sebastian. Monique is dating Sebastian, who Viola is impersonating while he's in London. Viola likes Duke, who thinks she's a dude, but Duke likes Viola when she is actually being Viola. Confused yet? Even though it seems like a whirlpool for disaster, which it basically is, this movie acts as not only a rom-com but also as an example that girls really can do anything they want if they put their minds to it. And in the end, everything turns out exactly how it was meant to be.