9 Reasons Why I'm Thankful For My Little Brother

Why I love being his big sister.

620
Sophia Holbrook

When I went away to college, one of the projects I embarked on was exchanging letters with my 11 year-old brother. I wanted to find a unique way for the two of us to stay in touch while I was away, since it made me upset to miss such an important part of his life. And to say that being his pen-pal was a highlight of my freshman year is truly an understatement. My little brother is one of my best friends. Being home this summer and spending more time with him has brought me more than one realization about how lucky I am to be his big sister. His insight, his heart, and his spirit are three things I wish were more prevalent in the adults in our world, and things that I admire wholeheartedly. I learn so much from him every day. It's hard to put all of that into words, but here are 9 reasons why I'm thankful for my little brother, thankful to be a his big sister, and thankful for our age gap (7 years) that people often have questions about.

1. Being far apart in age allows me to keep learning like I used to. The way he takes in the world, discovers life, and embraces the knowledge he is encountering allows me to think like I used to when I was younger, too. That's such a gift, because the learning that you experience as a kid is invaluable. I love getting to see things from his perspective.

2. Our age gap doesn't distance us, but makes us closer friends. Some people have questions about the distance between us in years. But truly, getting to see him enter the world and grow up has given me the understanding for me to be his friend now that he's older and gives him the trust in me to have that kind of friendship. It's one of the things in my life I am most thankful for.

3. Getting to watch him grow up is a privilege I could never replace. Seeing him learn, go through elementary school, practice his sports, make friends, and encounter obstacles is something I will always cherish. Getting to see his life unfold and develop is such an amazing experience, and getting to be proud of him is one of the best feelings.

4. Seeing how he treats others inspires me. His heart is of solid gold and he truly cares about our family and his friends. He shows concern for everyone and how they feel and he always wants to lend a hand. He takes care of people and always inspires me with how humble he is and how much compassion he shows others. He serves as a reminder for me to put others first every day.

5. Seeing how he thinks, acts, and reacts with his heart are things I admire and enjoy watching. He thinks for himself, acts with compassion, and is learning to be a great person by being a great kid. He is responsible, intuitive, and interested in the world he's living in- traits that I aspire to have and remind me to work hard and pursue excellence in all forms each day.

6. Getting the perspective he has and learning about what he is discovering is a gift. Hearing about what he does in school, what his passions are, and seeing how he interacts with the world remind me how great it is to be a kid, and how the morals and virtues of childhood should really serve as reminders for adults; in other words, Matthew reminds me to laugh, learn without inhibitions, and explore when the barriers of adulthood don't direct me to do those things.

7. Hearing his younger insight on things that I wonder about is important to me. When I'm concerned about something, excited about something, or just want a second opinion, while it's hard to believe, he's one of the people I want to give me feedback. He has good insight, knows me better than I know myself sometimes, and is honest in the most kind way. He cares about my sister and I, and we value the things he has to say about our lives.

8. Having his approval and his admiration is something I get to work for every day. From college rowing to getting my education, he is my motivation to keep going and never give in. I want him to see a role model in me, and the decisions I make are motivated with that thought in mind. His approval is something I yearn for, and he pushes me in my toughest moments to keep going and do my best. When rowing in college got really hard, I'll never forget him texting me to tell me everything would be okay. He knows how to inspire me even if he doesn't know he's doing it.

9. Hearing about his goals and dreams makes me want to continue working toward mine. His aspirations, passions, and ideas about the future remind me to never give up on my own dreams and goals. His future is so bright, and I want mine to be bright so he knows to keep working toward his goals even when the going gets tough. He reminds me to shoot for the moon, because he always does.

When Matthew and I wrote letters this year, I was reminded how lucky I am to be his sister. He's not only smart, kind, and motivated, but he cares about people in a way that is hard to find in every other person. On my hardest days, reading his letters brought me a lot of joy. And on my best days at school, getting to write my stories down to share with his was so memorable. I'm thankful for the perspective he brings me every day, for his heart, and for the privilege it is to be his big sister. He reminds me each day that there is so much good in the world, because he is living proof that there is not only good, but great.