9 Mistakes People Make When They Start Working Out

Don't let these mishaps mess up your washboard ab wishes

25

If you have high hopes for yourself in the gym but you’re not quite sure how to begin, here are some mistakes you’ll want to watch out for.

1. Getting disappointed when you don’t see results right away

Rome wasn’t built in a day, as they say. Progress takes time! It’s hard when you feel like what you see in the mirror isn’t a reflection of how hard you’re pushing at the gym, but if you stick with it, results will come.

2. Eating too little

When people start working out, they often want to change their diet to fit a healthier lifestyle as well. However, it’s important to make sure you eat enough so that you have enough energy to really push it in the gym. Some people go a little overboard, thinking they have to eat less in order to eat healthier, but often times just making the healthier decisions makes all the difference. Everyone is different, listen to your body!

3. Eating too much

*sees a piece of cake*

“Eh, I went to the gym today”

*eats cake*

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have that piece of cake if you want it. You should. However, sometimes people overestimate how much they’re burning at the gym and eat more because they think their workout ‘made up’ for it. Eat whenever you’re hungry, but be careful if you find yourself using your workout to justify that sugary treat that may leave you feeling less than sweet.

4. Following fad diets

People have been following trendy diets since the dawn of time. Sometimes they’re in magazines, sometimes they’re promoted by celebrities, but most of them aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Especially the ones that deprive you in some form or another- these always backfire in the long run. Find what works best for you and ignore what the media has to say about it.

5. Not making a plan

If you go to the gym without some idea of what you’re going to do, you’ll end up wandering around like a chicken with its head cut off. And maybe get discouraged and walk out. Pick a muscle group to work on and look up the best exercises for that and you’re good to go. You can write it down if you want to get really fancy, but having at least an idea of what you want to do is usually enough. Figure out what works for you!

6. Comparing yourself to others

You’re not at the gym for anyone but yourself, why should you be focusing on anyone but yourself?

7. Bad form

Look up the proper form if you don’t know it!! I cannot emphasize this enough!!!! Bad form can cause injuries which will prevent you from becoming a gymming extraordinaire! There are plenty of people at the gym who would be happy to demonstrate for you.

5. Not loving your workout

I was walking down the street the other day when I heard a man say, “I just don’t understand how you could ever like working out, I just do it because I have to”. Listen up, my friend, you’re clearly doing the wrong workouts. It’s sososososo important to find a workout you enjoy, because you’re more likely to KEEP doing it if you LOVE doing it. Try finding a workout buddy- sometimes just having someone with you can make it more enjoyable. Plus, they’ll hold you accountable. No skipping the gym on their watch! Or if you really dislike working out, you can try sneaking it into your routine in other ways: biking with your friends, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, swimming, etc.

9. Paying too much attention to the scale

Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you find that your scale is creeping up but you feel like you’ve been slaying your squats you may want to take a break from looking at the darned thing and just focus on visible changes in your body like those toned triceps or sharp AF abs.

Now get out there and kill it, friends. Happy gym-ing!