9 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Freshman Year

College is something you can't completely prepare yourself for, but it's nice to know some basic tips.

273
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/05/636610776218735717973497517_adult-blond-blur-789703.jpg

College is a rollercoaster and you need to expect stress and difficulties freshman year. The first semester is the worst and the second semester is the best. First semester consists of learning how to live with other people, using a community bathroom, doing college work, and meeting new friends. By second semester, you’ve most likely found a good group of friends and gotten into the routine of college life. You become more comfortable with everyone around you and your school that you now call home. Your first break is weird being back home, but by the end of winter break chances are you absolutely cannot wait to go back to school and see all of your friends. Freshman year goes by too fast and you need to be prepared to fully enjoy all the good times and the bad because you’ll never get this year back.

1. Give yourself the time you need to make friends

Making new friends isn’t easy and everyone is having a hard time adjusting. Don’t believe people who say they aren’t having any trouble because I guarantee everyone is.

2. It's OK to drop a class

It may seem like that means you’re not good enough for a class, but sometimes one class can hold you back from doing well in all your other classes.

3. Changing majors is not a bad thing

College is meant to allow space for you to find what you want to do and if you don't like what you initially go in with you have the opportunity to try something new.

4. Remember to take time to yourself

This one may be the one that is the most important. You are constantly surrounded by people at college and you need to be able to find time to relax on your own and unwind.

5. Don't be the girl in your dorm everyone complains is too loud

If you’re having a good time, then good for you, but just remember that there are at least 20 other girls are your dorm that could be trying to sleep or study.

6. Ubers empty your bank

I’m often scared to look at my bank account because I know the majority of my money is being spent on ubers and then to where ever they are taking me.

7. Managing your time is extremely important

College is a lot different than high school. You have a few hours of classes each day, but the amount of work you’re given and then expectations are increased. You need to set priorities and timing for you to be able to get your work done.

8. Don't resist the freshman 15

College is stressful and there is a lot of stress eating and ordering junk food, especially after a night out. Don’t get down on yourself if you gain weight, there’s plenty of time to get in shape and figure out how to eat correctly at school.

9. It goes by faster than you think

High school went by so slowly and all I wanted was to go to college. Now that I’m in college I’m realizing it goes by so fast and you really have to make the most of it all. Four years may seem like a long time but they go by so quickly.