8 Ways to Sleep on an Airplane

8 Ways to Sleep on an Airplane

The Head Tray and Criss-Cross Applesauce combination is one of my favorites. What's yours?

127
8 Ways to Sleep on an Airplane
Janae Iloreta

If you're already an occasional airplane rider from being an out of state college student, a military kid, or just a fortunate lad who gets to travel a lot, trying to find a comfortable sleeping position on the airplane tends to become frustrating. And if you've yet to experience riding on an airplane, this list of sleeping positions will come in very handy when the time comes! Here are eight ways to alternate the way you sleep on a plane.

1. Classic Sit-up

The very first option for sleeping on a plane is to sit up normally. This may be for those who like the feeling of a straight back. As an accessory to this position, a neck pillow is often used!

2. The Blanket Head

Similar to the previous position, The Blanket Head requires sitting up with a blanket thrown over your head. This is usually for those who don’t like being seen with a possibly embarrassing sleeping face on. You can use your own blanket or the complimentary ones that are usually wrapped in plastic and provided on the seat for you. Hurry and hide!

3. The Head Tray

Originally used for as a food and beverage table, the drop down tray table can also be used to lay your head on. Many adolescents and younger adults are seen to use this position more frequently. This is for those who occasionally sleep on their stomachs, as the Head Tray position includes leaning the body forward. Just cross your arms on the tray, lay your head and fall asleep!

4. Window Rest

If you happen to have a window seat, use the window next to you as a head rest. The cooling temperature of the air outside will feel relaxing and put you to sleep in no time. (Remember to sanitize the window before letting your face touch the glass!)

5. Knees to Head

Great for tiny people, the Knees to Head position requires you to bring your legs up so you may use your knees as a head rest.

6. Criss-Cross Applesauce

Just combine the classic sit-up position with crossing your legs and there you go!

7. The Third Shoulder

Third shoulder? Yes. If you’re fortunate enough to have someone you know sitting next to you, and they don’t mind you laying on their shoulder, go ahead and use it as a head rest! If not, I dare you to try it on a stranger.

8. Leg Logs

Another position that includes potential stranger contact, the Leg Logs position allows you to stretch your legs out straight. If you’re super lucky to have empty seats next to you, go ahead and use that extra space as a bed! If not, place them on a family member or friend–if they don’t mind. Or, perhaps a stranger’s?

The Criss-Cross Applesauce and Window Rest is a pretty comfortable combo. Feel free to make your own!