8 Ways To Get In The Christmas Spirit

8 Ways To Get In The Christmas Spirit

College edition.

55
8 Ways To Get In The Christmas Spirit
Dixon Family Christmas

Since I could remember, the weekend after Thanksgiving marked the beginning of Christmas in my household! My parents brought down the Christmas decorations and our 12-foot-tall fake evergreen tree from the attic. My brothers and I would wait and watch patiently as my mom separated all the decorations into which rooms around the house they were going to go. After she organized the decorations -- from her collection of mini-Santa's to separating the Christmas tree ornaments by color -- she sent us off to decorate. From the kitchen to our bedrooms, our house was Christma-fied!

Although most of this holiday season I'll be away at college, back home the family traditions will go on without me. Thus, getting myself into the Christmas spirit before returning home for the holidays will have to be done all on my own! If you're going through the same struggle, here are the eight ways we will get ourselves into the Christmas spirit.

1. Blast Christmas music on high volume.

Go on YouTube and search "Christmas playlist," click on Mariah Carey and four hours of everyone's favorite Christmas jams will ring throughout your house, dorm, or apartment. Who doesn't remember flipping through the radio stations in the car right before Thanksgiving, coming across a radio station playing Christmas music and thinking, It's not even Thanksgiving yet! But then, of course, having to succumb to the wonderful feeling that flows throughout your skin when you remember what the Christmas spirit feels like! No doubt that listening to some Christmas classics will have that same feeling flowing through your college-student veins.

2. Hang Christmas lights.

Hanging Christmas lights could either mean you want to be like those girls with the pretty bedrooms on Tumblr or you're just really excited for Christmas. It's an easy way to spruce up the décor in your room and simultaneously get more into the holiday spirit. Whether the lights be rainbow or just the classic white, every time you walk in your room -- it'll feel and look like a Christmas wonderland.

3. Shop for the gifts you'll be gifting!

An excuse to go shopping? I am in! When I shop throughout the year, it's either because I can't find anything to wear in my closet or I want to pretend like I am going to Coachella, so I buy that cute hippie looking dress in the window of American Eagle Outfitters. I have a job and a credit card so going on a small shopping spree for the people in my life who deserve it most will definitely get me feeling something extra special. But if you're a broke college student struggling to make it by, settle for a card "for that special someone." Trust me, they understand, considering most of the people in your life get the struggle you're going through in college.

4. Look at Christmas decorations.

Walmart, Macy's and Target put up their Christmas decorations and décor sections even before Halloween this year. I know I wasn't the only one annoyed that these stores were neglecting the fun of the Halloween season, but once Halloween ends I allow myself to step into those stores ready to walk around their little Christmas wonderlands and become awestruck at all the new decorations. Some of these stores have gotten really clever with some of their little knick-knacks, like twerking Santa's and reindeers. Can't help but smile at the creativity though!

Once December comes around, it isn't a secret some neighborhoods go hard when it comes to outdoor Christmas decorations. The effort, hard work and creativity that went into decorating some of those homes could have taken months! I know I am not the only one who has watched those "best Christmas lights" contest specials on channels like TLC during December!

5. Watch Christmas movies.

We all have our favorite Christmas movies. Ones we grew up with, like the cartoon versions of "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph The Red Noise Reindeer;" as well as more recent movies like "Christmas with the Kranks" and "Elf." A good laugh and watching the joy of some Christmas miracles is exactly the thing to remind you what Christmas is all about.

6. Wear a hat and gloves.

Having grown up on the East Coast, I associate cold weather with Christmas. Growing up in New Jersey, I'd spend my December weekends driving into New York City to go see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center dressed in every article of clothing I owned. Three layers of long sleeve shirts, two jackets, gloves, two scarves and a hat was just enough to make me not shiver when the wind blew through the city streets. Cold means Christmas.

7. Get an ugly Christmas sweater and wear it to sleep.

Since I could remember, I was wearing an ugly Christmas sweater to school every Friday before Christmas break. Every year I'd try to make the sweater I wore uglier and uglier. I would start searching for the perfect one at least three weeks before I had to wear it; I'd talk about it in school and make sure everyone was just as excited as me to see it. Ugly Christmas sweaters also remind me of my grandparents, because they did not think the sweaters were ugly and that makes it even better.

8. Look through pictures with the family from Christmas day.

I hope my mother wasn't the only one who took pictures of the family opening gifts on Christmas day every year. However as much as looking at pictures of the family since I have been in college hurts, the reminder through those photos that Christmas is a day to remember, give thanks to the ones you love, and be thankful for the beautiful, privileged, blessed, and amazing life you're living. Don't worry, you'll be home soon enough.