8 Things To Try When You Feel Uninspired

“When your dreams becoming reality, they're no longer your dreams.” -- Hugh MacLeod

10
ashscrapyard

Sometimes, life throws curve balls. You may feel that you are stuck in a rut and quickly sinking. Due dates for papers are coming up, exams are creeping around the corner and work is weighing on your mind and body day after day. I've been there. I think we've all been there at one point or another. The good news is that we don't have to stay in our slump! Here are eight things to try when you're feeling uninspired.

1. Go outside.

Don't make excuses. Just do it. Take a walk or jog. Getting some fresh air and pulling your eyes away from the computer screen will make a huge difference in your thinking process. You're also getting exercise in for the day, and you will be glad for an extra release of endorphins. Endorphins will trigger a positive feeling in your body, along with lowering your perception of pain.

2. Read anything that peaks your interest.

Whether it's an article on the Odyssey about cats or "I Have A Dream" by the late Martin Luther King Jr., read something. Reading spurs forward creativity and life is constantly about learning new things. Take advantage of the technology we have.

3. Play a game.

College students. Come on. We all know you love games secretly. Even if it's simple cards or a board game, get your mind focused on something else for a little bit. Your brain will appreciate the strategic thinking involved.

4. Go to a coffee shop and just people watch.

Who doesn't love a big cup of caffeine accompanied by the strange people that live in our world? You might laugh. You might meet a new friend. Savor the little things in life. They will help give you a new perspective.

5. Call a friend. Make that hotline bling.

Ask about new things happening in their life. Grow your relationship with them. When we interact with others, we feel a better sense of connectedness to the world around us. Don't be afraid to pick up that phone -- even if you don't do it that often.

6. Listen to your favorite band.

Might sound simple enough, but think about your all-time favorite musician. Fall in love with them all over again. Give the lyrics a closer listen.

7. Go to an animal shelter and play with puppies.

If you need something therapeutic to help something start the creative thinking process, this may be the option for you. Who doesn't want to go play with puppies?

8. Tell yourself: I am infinite.

Sometimes the best pep talk can come from yourself. If your confidence is shaky, your artwork will be too. You are limitless. You are an incredible human being, so deserving of a life filled with love, laughter, and happiness.