8 Things I Learned After My Sexual Assault

8 Things I Learned 3 Years After The Most Traumatic Experience Of My Life

It's been a long, hard road to recovery.

507

This month marks three years that I have survived a very traumatic experience. In my freshman year of college, I was a victim of sexual assault. This very serious event changed my life forever. Not only did it affect my life, but it has stood heavy with me for the last three years — I'll never forget it. There's so much I have learned after experiencing something so traumatic. I've come so far with healing. However, I had to go through hell to get this far. These are a couple of things I've learned after surviving three years from this very traumatic event.

1. You will one day see the light

This is very cliche, but I promise that after a traumatic experience you eventually come out of it and that, in itself, is the best feeling!

2. The start of healing is very hard

I'm not going to sugar coat my healing process because it was probably one of the hardest things I ever had to do. The healing process takes a lot of time, but it eventually happens!

3. Trusting anyone for a while is hard

Something that I went through really hits your heart when it comes to trust. I learned that you shouldn't be too open to people at the beginning of relationships. Not just romantic relationships, but really any sort of relationship.

4. Not everyone is supportive

This is probably one of the hardest ones but not everyone is supportive when you're going through something super traumatic. Not everyone will support your decisions and honestly, you're the only one who knows what's best for you. It's hard when the people around you don't support your decisions, but knowing what's best for you is the best!

5. Not everyone will believe you

This doesn't need a lot of explaining but only I knew what went on and I didn't need everyone's validation.

6. True colors come out in the hardest of times

I don't know about anyone else, but in life when things are hard, everyone goes into fight or flight mode. You will know who stays or who will go and sometimes it hurts but it does happen.

7. The people in your life who love you will never leave your side

Even during the hardest of times these people will love you unconditionally and will never leave your side.

8. Giving yourself self-care is the best type of healing

It is very important to take care of yourself during a hard time. Self care does wonders for the soul and body!