8 Simple Ways To Make A Difference

8 Simple Ways To Make A Difference

Although there is a lot of bad in the world, there are many ways to help make a difference.

33
8 Simple Ways To Make A Difference
Christin Morgan

Simply put, this world is a scary place and it can be massively overwhelming. Every where we turn, something bad is happening and it is hard to make sense of it all. With a heart constantly breaking when looking at the world, I am always looking for a small way I can help to make the world a better place. I have complied a list of ways I believe everyone can easily do and if done, they can have a much larger impact than any one of us can imagine. We are all in this together, do not doubt your significance.

Simple ways to make a difference in the world:

1. Support a Cause

Find a cause that you are passionate about, research it, and support it. This can include supporting a local charity or even starting your own. By supporting a cause you are often times providing a voice for people who do not have a voice, people and situations that need awareness. You can provide that awareness through sharing about it, volunteering for it, or any variety of other ways.

2. Donate

When I say donate, I do not mean strictly money, although if you can, that is great! Your time is every bit as valuable as money and it can be used in a variety of ways to help others when you donate it. You can also donate clothes you have grown out of or household items you no longer need. Instead of throwing those things away, try taking them to a local Salvation Army or homeless shelter.

3. Be Kind to Others

Be kind to others. Manners are by far the most underrated commodity a person can have. It does not matter if it is a stranger, friend, or family member, a simple kind word or genuine thank you can go a long way. This is probably the easiest of all ways to make a difference. It may seem trivial but imagine what kind of world we would be living in if everyone actually used manners and said kind things to others simply because they want to. That is the kind of world I would like to live in.

4. Help Someone with Something, Anything

There is this amazing concept of “pay it forward,” where one person does something to help three other people in ways they cannot help themselves. Each of those three people does the same for three other people and so on. Start with one or two people and try to do something when you are given the opportunity. From there it only gets easier, the tough part is finding the courage to do something.

5. Dare to Dream

I am blessed to live in a country where I have always been taught to dream and I have the ability to make even my wildest of dreams come true. Without dreams, we would not have any of the things we have today, it all started with somebody, somewhere dreaming. If being prone to crazy ideas -- trust me, they are really out there sometimes -- has taught me anything it is that even the craziest of dreams have a meaning and they can, in fact, change the world if you also utilize #6 on my list.

I dream of a world where love has no boundaries and is shared among people more than materials. What do you dream of?

6. Act on those Dreams

Dreaming can change you and your own perceptions and ambitions in this world but actually acting on those dreams will give you the opportunity to influence and change more lives than just your own. Remember, this is not telling you to go spend all of your savings on a crazy dream you think has potential, but just simple actions on dreams you feel strongly about. Even little actions can have a big impact.

7. Learn and Experience things Outside of Your Own Little Bubble

This sounds strange to put on a list of ways to make a positive difference in the world but the more you know about the world, the better you can help it. It will also help you expand your thinking and break down stereotypes and other misconceptions you have about people and things different from what you are familiar with. The more people that do this, the fewer barriers built by misconceptions we will have in this world. It goes beyond knowledge, it is understanding and empathy.

8. Think Mostly Positive Thoughts

Out of all the things on this list, this is the hardest and is often thought of as impossible, notice how I used "mostly" instead of "all". But our thoughts translate into our expressions and actions. When we think mostly negative, we are spreading that negativity around whether we realize it or not. Changing your thinking to think about the good in things as opposed to the bad will change your perspective on the world and it will only help you to make a difference in it. Just by you yourself being a positive person, you are showing others that it is possible no matter what the circumstances may be and perhaps influence them to do the same. It’s really just all mind games.

No actions of kindness are too small to make a difference. You may not notice it right away or maybe ever, but you have made an impact. Whether it is that you made someone smile for a minute or provided someone with hope, it all adds up and it all makes this world a better place. Believe in that and try your best to follow it.

As the great Gandhi once said, "Be the change you wish to see in this world".