8 Signs You're From The Westbank (New Orleans)

Gretna, Harvey, Marrero, Algiers, Avondale, Belle Chasse, Westwego and Barataria represent!

1182
Alexey Sergeev

I am sure many of you have heard of New Orleans. It is an awesome and unique city! I attend college in Alabama, and I always tell people that I am from New Orleans. To tell you the truth, I am actually lying. I am actually from what is called the "Westbank." The main bridge that is over the Gulf of Mexico/Mississippi River actually connects the Eastbank, the majority of New Orleans, to the Westbank. I have lived on the Westbank going on 20 years now. If you also live on the "Wank," I am sure you can relate a lot to this list.

1. Manhattan Blvd has literally everything

I am not exaggerating. From AMC movies, Target, Wal-Mart, Cane's, Chik-fil-a, IHOP, Waffle House, Pho, Ross, Marshall's Charming Charlie's, Smoothie King, Zea's, Copeland's, Friday's, Chili's, Barnes and Noble, World Market and you cannot forget the amazing Texas Roadhouse!

2. Oakwood Mall is lit on the weekends

This is the only mall on the Westbank, and EVERYONE is there shopping. Why? Because there's really no need in going across the river to Metairie! You cannot go to Oakwood without seeing someone you know!

3. Fastest way to get to Elmwood? Take the Huey P. Long Bridge

This does not really apply to those who live in Algiers, but Huey P. will get you to Elmwood in great time. I wonder, however, when they are going to quit doing construction on it!

4. The torture of getting stuck on the Lapalco and Belle Chasse Bridge

It is very hard to avoid getting stuck on these bridges. You could legit take a quick nap while you are waiting for the bridge to come down. If you have never gotten stuck on at least one of these, I am extremely jealous of you.

5. Thank goodness for the HOV lane

I have always gone to school across the river, so I took the HOV basically every morning. Westbankers know how bad traffic gets in the afternoon, so taking the HOV going home was a must too. It is always fun and sad to see people stuck in traffic, and you are just zooming by on the HOV lane.

6. Going to countless birthday parties at Skate Country when you were younger

This was the place to be when I was younger. I can easily remember going there for at least seven or eight parties, including mine. You would think I would know how to skate by now, but no!

7. The Belle Chasse and Terry Pkwy intersection is the longest traffic light ever

This is the ultimate struggle that Westbankers go through. This light is so long that I have seen people put on a full face of make-up, eat an entire meal, take a short nap, you name it. Yes, it is often that people run the red lights in this intersection because it takes a million years to turn green, so just be a cautious driver and try not to get caught by the JP cops; they are everywhere.

8. Fuji Hana is a heaven on Earth

This is honestly one of the best hibachi and sushi places that I have ever gone to, and it is literally right up the street from my house. I have been there for several birthday parties too.

The Westbank will always be home to me no matter where I end up living in the future because the Westbank is truly the Bestbank.