8 Signs You Probably Aren't Getting Nearly 8 Hours Of Sleep

It might be time to get some Zzzz's.

48

As college students, we all know that the feeling of always wanting to take a nap. It is almost a significant part of everyone's day, however, when we can't get in those extra hours of sleep during the daytime we suffer.

Even though we know that we want to sleep more than we already do, we don't always make it a priority. You might think that the only side effect is being tired, the bags under your the eyes and yawning constantly. However, that isn't quite true. Lack of sleep takes a large toll on our bodies. If you are reading this and thinking, "My six hours of sleep a night are more than enough!" You might just be wrong.

As a fellow college student, I understand that there are much more fun activities that you can be doing rather than sleeping at night time, but if you can make a little sacrifice and prioritize self-care by getting the proper amount of sleep, I promise your body will thank you in the long run.

Here are 8 signs that your body is begging you for more sleep:

1. You're constantly seeking out caffeinated beverages.

Caffeine has temporary effects and leaves you feeling even more tired. Trade the coffee for a snooze.

2. You have constant bad moods.

Lack of sleep can cause irritability, stress and mood swings.

3. You are having trouble focusing.

When you are tired, your brain struggles to perform at full capacity which can leave you struggling to focus and retain information.

4. You're gaining weight.

When you aren't getting the rest you need, your body is low on energy which can cause you to crave sugary foods which lead to weight gain.

5. You're nodding off during the day.

When your body is fighting to stay awake, it can be easy to nod off during everyday tasks.

6. Your skin is showing it.

Puffiness, dark circles under the eyes and redness are a clear sign that you aren't sleeping enough.

7. You have low motivation.

When you are tired, you don't feel like doing anything more than the bare minimum which leads to significant unproductivity.

8. You're getting sick more than normal.

Constant exhaustion takes a toll on the body's ability to fight off germs which can cause you to be sick more than normal.

Self-care comes first. Your body is a temple, and it is important to take care if it. If anything on this list resonates with you, it is time to trade in some of the all-nighters for some quality sleep. You have this body forever and it deserves to operate at full capacity, and it all starts witha good night's sleep.