8 Signs You Are A Midwesterner Going To An East Coast School

3. You are the only one that says "ope" every time you mess up
192

When I moved to Syracuse University all those months ago, I did not know how much I would learn in those first few months. I have learned a lot about myself and others around me, but what really surprised me were the things I learned about the area in America that I was in. Being from one of the middle states, I did not know how different things would be.

If you are like me, I am sure you can relate to these 8 signs you most definitely aren't from one of the coasts.

1. You have no idea what Wawa is.

Apparently, gas stations are cool here?! Wawa is some monumentally important thing on the east coast.

2. You aren't allowed to be homesick.

While you are quite a ways from home, the west coasters won't let you say you're homesick. You aren't as far as them so it is forbidden to say you are homesick.

3. You are the only one that says "ope" everytime you mess up.

I guess this is just a Midwest thing? Every single time I make a mistake or mess up, "ope" comes out of my mouth. And I am literally the only one that does that.

4. You aren't allowed to be "used to the weather."

Even though you have seen snow and have experienced some crazy weather it doesn't count. No one will let you hear the end of east coast weather is the worst.

5. Dunkin Donuts is everywhere.

You see one right off the highway and then two stores down there is another. You can never escape them. If you weren't a fan before, you definitley will be soon.

6. No one knows where your state is on the map.

Ohio and Minnesota! They are right next to each other, right? ...No, no they are not.

7. You never have anything cool to say about your town.

All these people from the west coast or those living on the east coast all have amazing things that have happened or places that are famous. And you are just over here like ... "my dog is really cool?"

8. You are a part of a small group of people.

Your university is obviously dominated by east coasters going to their parent's alma maters or not wanting to go too far from home, or west coasters trying to get far far away from home. And you? You just went for the academics, the distance, but not too much distance, or whatever it is that you came here for.

We may be few but we are mighty.