Honestly, What Would A Girl Do Without Her Guy Best Friends?

Shoutout to all those guy friends out there because you're amazing.

69
Carolyn Sistrand

I’m one of those girls who has many girl friends and guy friends. For those of you blessed enough to have amazing guy friends in your life, cherish them. They’re your brothers and your biggest protectors. They see you at your lowest and highest highs but love you just the same. I think every girl needs at least one guy friend, but if you are as lucky as I am, you have many.

There's tons of reasons— but here's the top 10 reasons why your guy friends play a huge role in your life:

1. They are extremely protective.

Constant lectures on “what you deserve,” “how a guy should treat you,” and their favorite line: “if he hurts you I’ll fight him." They never want to see you get hurt and they think that every guy will hurt you. You try telling them you’ll be okay, but they never believe it.

2. They don’t feel weird complimenting you.

It’s like having hype men 24/7. They aren’t afraid to tell you you’re beautiful or how great you are. Whether you are having a bad day or if it’s just random, hearing them say something positive can change your mood or outlook on your current situation. Knowing they see you at your best and worst, the compliments definitely feel heartfelt.

3. They won’t let you pay for anything.

We aren’t dating, yet they almost always have to pay for you. Or they refuse to let you pay for them— even when you really want to. Although it is never necessary, the gesture is always appreciated. What irritates me is when I try paying for them and they won’t let me. It’s like they can do nice things for me but I can’t for them.

4. They show you how you deserve to be treated.

They hold open doors for you, always talk and treat you kindly and treat you how every girl should be treated by a man. How my guys friends treat me has really influenced my decision making in friendships and relationships in general. They showed me that some people are worth having around and some are not. That’s a huge shoutout to their parents, by the way. Good job and thank you.

5. They hate every boy you date or talk to. Or any boy that might happen to look at you, for that matter.

Every boy is “bad”. They’re all “the same”. Or the most common, “I don’t know what it is but I don’t like that guy.” It’s nice knowing that there are people that really care about seeing you happy. They, however, always believe every guy is bad. I trust their instincts but I think sometimes they over exaggerate in attempts to protect my feelings.

6. They listen to every boy problem, situation or story.

My guy friends are A1 listeners, but also give great advice. It might be the male perspective that makes them so good at this or the fact that they truly care about what is going on in my life. Either way— it's nice to not only get the male perspective on many different situations but to also always have people who are there to listen.

7. They hold you when you cry.

For some reason, they are so much more comforting to cry to. They hate seeing you sad so they do everything they can to make the situation better. I think it’s that male instinct to protect women because no matter what they always make me feel safe. And for someone who does not feel comfortable crying— I’m at ease knowing that they are always there.

8. They show you not all guys are bad.

They are the perfect examples of the good guys. Too often girls get burned by guys and think that no good ones exist. My friendship with my guy friends has shown me the exact opposite. Good guys exist and in an abundance. The girls that end up dating my guy friends are so lucky, you’ve found yourself a keeper.

9. They do not judge you for anything— even when you’re hangry.

They’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Somehow, though, they never seem to judge you. Instead, they help you get up from your fall. They stick by your side as you get back on the path your veered away from. They never look at you any differently. This is extremely important seeing that they have all seen me hangry once or twice.

10. They constantly show you how much they love you.

I don’t understand people that say guys and girls can’t be friends. I have been friends with guys for so long and they are some of the best friendships I have. Guys and girls can love each other without it being romantic— my guy friends are the definition of that statement.

So shoutout to all the guy friends out there, you’re the best.