11 Reasons You Should Respect Your Teachers

Treat others how you want to be treated.

72352
San Diego Unified

Lately, I have been hearing a lot of stories about students being rude to their teachers. And then the other day in class I witnessed it happen: halfway through class the WiFi stopped working, and there was nothing my professor could do. However, instead of just sending us home, he wanted to use our time wisely, so he had us work on other things that did not require using the WiFi. Some students began making loud comments trying to get his attention about wanting to go home, and one even tried to yell across the room.

Throughout all of it, all I could think was why? I mean, yeah, it would have been nice to get out early, but he clearly was not going to, so what was the point? Teachers or professors, whatever you want to call them, are there to help us, and they deserve our respect. So here is a list of reasons you should respect your teacher.

1. They respect you.

“Treat others how you want to be treated," if you think your teacher is being rude maybe look at how you are treating him or her.

2. They are there to help you learn.

We would not make it very far without an education, and they are the people who provide us with one.

3. They care about you.

They want the best for you, and if something is going wrong they want to help you.

4. They can help you in the future.

Teachers want you to succeed and are more than willing to help.

5. They cannot control everything.

Some things are just out of our hands, and it is not fair to hold teachers responsible for things that go wrong.

6. They have to deal with a lot of shit.

Why make it more difficult? It is not cool, and most of the time the other students think you are annoying, not funny.

7. They decide your grade.

Okay, so this one is more of a joke, but it is true. Your teacher will be more willing to help you out or work with you if you respect them.

8. They are people too.

How would you feel if you were trying to help someone and got attitude in return?

9. They have been in your shoes.

At one point in their lives your teachers were students too, so they understand more than you think.

10. They are not out to get you.

Teachers are trying to to help you do better, they do not want to see you fail.

11. They give up A LOT for us.

Teachers are the hardest workers I know. They worked hard for their title and it is no secret that they do not make the big bucks.

This is just the beginning; there are so many more reasons why you should respect your teachers. It really is not a hard thing to show your teachers the respect they deserve. If you do have a problem or disagree with your teacher, just talk to him or her after class. Being respectful can make life easier for you and your teacher.