8 TV Shows About Badass Women, Created By Badass Women

Shonda please don't kill me off.

811
ABC

1. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (the CW)

The refreshingly dark adult musical version of Lizzie McGuire, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, written by Rachel Bloom, is (in my opinion) one of the best comedies on television. The show follows Rebecca Bunch as she uproots her life in NYC to follow her teenage crush, Josh Chan, to sunny California after she runs into him on the street.

But don’t call her crazy. Giving a voice to your inner creepy stalker Rebecca and her friends frequently burst into songs such as “The Sexy Getting Ready Song”, “Heavy Boobs”, and “Getting Bi”. Covering topics like mental health, sexuality, feminism, addiction, and heartbreak co-creators Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna are not afraid to talk about everything and anything, and sometimes have help telling the story with guest stars like Josh Groban and Patti LuPone.

You can catch up on this laugh out loud comedy on Netflix and the CW App!

2. The Golden Girls

This raunchy sitcom created by Susan Harris followed four older women as they lived together during the “golden years” of their life.

Starring Bea Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan, and Estelle Getty as the promiscuous, clueless and hilarious, Dorothy, Blanche, Rose & Sophia the show went on to run for 7 seasons, all of which are available to binge on Hulu. The Golden Girls also talked about politically charged topics of the 80s like AIDS, homosexuality, gay marriage, and cross-dressing.

The Golden Girls is the ideal show to watch on a cold winter night, so cuddle up with your best gal pals and have Betty White warm your heart.

3. Marvel's Jessica Jones

Created by Melissa Rosenberg, Jessica Jones is the anti-hero that you want so desperately to root for… no matter how hard she makes it.

Based on the comic book series by the same name, Krysten Ritter stars as the damaged Jessica Jones, a former superhero who tries to rebuild her life as a private investigator while also dealing with her PTSD and alcoholism.

Jones is dry and sarcastic and an asshole 90% of the time, but she’s also a good person who cares about her clients and that is her driving force throughout the series. She regularly hurls bad guys into walls and can hold her own in a bar fight against 20 men; you will finish each episode and want to go join a UFC gym hoping to become even the tiniest bit as bad ass as Jessica Jones!

The show is a Netflix original and its second season is set to premiere in March 2018. You can also watch Jessica Jones in “Marvel’s The Defenders”

4. UnReal

A must watch for any Bachelor superfan or lover of trash reality TV! Created by Marti Noxon and Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, UnReal combines reality and fiction giving you behind the scenes look at just how real reality TV shows like The Bachelor and The Bachelorette really are.

Co-creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro even worked on the popular dating show for nine seasons, so it seems like she had a little bit of inspiration in creating the fictional dating show, Everlasting, that main characters Rachel (Shiri Appleby) and Quinn (Constance Zimmer) work on.

The first season of UnReal mainly focuses on Rachel, who after an almost career ending stunt last season is back and constantly making morally questionable decisions in order to keep her job on the show while dogging her ex-boyfriend and his new fiancé… who both walk on the show as well! It's safe to say there will be a fair share of drama both “on and off camera”.

You can catch up before the season 3 premiere on February 26 on Hulu!

5. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

We have Amy Sherman-Palladino to thank for the new Amazon Prime show The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. And if that name sounds familiar, it is! Amy also created the show starring everyone’s favorite mother-daughter duo Gilmore Girls!

The show follows Miriam "Midge" Maisel a Jewish housewife in the late 50s with a love for comedy. After her husband leaves her for his secretary finds herself on the comedy stage then arrested on a Morality charge when hilariously sharing her story with the audience for her raunchy comedy. NPR recently highlighted the effectiveness of the comedy in the show, writing "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel isn't aiming for realism. It's a heroic fantasy.

And Midge's humor, one might say, is the ultimate version of staircase wit. Recklessly honest, she says what female comedians would've said half a century ago — if they had only been free to say it." The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was just nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Television Musical or Comedy and Rachel Brosnahan (who plays the marvelous Mrs. Maisel herself) was also nominated for Best Actress in a Best Television Musical or Comedy.

You can watch the entire first season on Amazon Prime Video!

6. Gilmore Girls

If you weren’t one of the thousands of people who rushed to binge watch Gilmore Girls before the revival last year I suggest you start now.

Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, Gilmore Girls tells the story of Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and her daughter Rory (Alexis Bledel) Gilmore and their small town of Stars Hollow. The series explores issues of family, romance, education, belonging, and friendship, along with generational divides and social class.

If you’re stopping by to get a cup of coffee of Luke’s or just wanted to see a baby Milo Ventimiglia, Jared Padalecki, or Melissa McCarthy the people of Stars Hollow will always welcome you with open arms.

You can watch the original series as well as Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Netflix.

7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Created by SNL album Tiny Fey the series follows 29-year-old “Mole Women” Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper) as she adjusts to life in New York City after she was rescued from a cult in Indiana where she and three other women were held underground for 15 years.

She quickly befriends her landlady Lillian (Carol Kane) and finds a roommate in struggling actor Titus Andromedon (Tituss Burgess), and gains a job as a nanny for the socialite Jacqueline Voorhees (Jane Krakowski). Hilarity ensues as she tries to navigate through her new life in the big city

You can watch all 3 seasons on Netflix

8. Basically, Anything Created By Shonda Rhimes

ABC literally has a night of TV dedicated to this woman! With shows like Scandal, Greys Anatomy, and How to Get Away with Murder it is obvious that Rhimes knows how to write strong female characters that we want to invite over for a night of popcorn and red wine.

But before her success with ABC Rhimes worked with Britney Spears in her debut film Crossroads and she also worked on the Princess Diaries sequel Princess Diaries: A Royal Engagement. Earlier this year Shonda Rhimes made and entered into a multi-year development deal with Netflix in which all of her future productions will be Netflix Original series so there are many more binge-worthy stories to follow.

You can catch up on all of her shows on Netflix as well as on TGIT on ABC