8 Reasons You Need To Have A Hoe Phase For At Least A Semester

What are you waiting for?

888
Instagram

Ah, hookup culture. You basically either love or hate it. There really isn't much wiggle room. Before my freshman year of college, I had absolutely no intention of joining the hookup culture. In fact, I thought it was dumb and an unsafe waste of time. Two years later, I decided to take part in this lifestyle, and although sometimes I might put myself in some sus situations (oops), it's arguably one of the best decisions I've ever made, and here's why.

1. You'll probably never be surrounded by as many people ever again

College is your oyster! When will you ever be among over 40,000 people for more than a few days again? Take advantage of the diversity and step outside of your comfort zone. You never know who you'll find.

2. You learn a lot about yourself and your preferences

A hoe phase teaches you a lot. You learn what works best for you, what doesn't, and what you want in a partner. The whole point is to use this time to experiment and come to better understand yourself, and trust me, you'll do just that.

3. You'll meet people you otherwise might not have

I used to be pretty closed off and shy when it came to meeting new people, which is such a shame because in the past year alone, I've gotten to know some of the most inspiring, hardworking individuals and hear some of the most heartbreaking stories. My hoe phase has made me so much more self-confident and less shy, and sure, that's great for meeting potential new hookups, but it's also an invaluable life skill.

4. You'll know enough f*ckboys to last you two lifetimes

One of the hookup culture's biggest flaws is the somehow implied idea that boys need to be jerks. At this point, I've just learned to embrace it because surprisingly there is ONE benefit.

5. You get really good at reading boys

The ONLY good thing about constantly dealing with these f*ckboys is that you get really good at reading them. They're all cut from the same cloth; never think otherwise. Your ability to notice f*ckboy tendencies will skyrocket after just a few months of being in your hoe phase. You'll be a pro in no time, and it's honestly one of the best skills to have during this time in your life.

6. It's networking at its finest

OK, this is kind of a joke, but also kind of not really. I've met so many people through my hookups that I definitely wouldn't have even crossed paths with otherwise. I'm actually shocked. Who needs LinkedIn? (Definitely joking.)

7. You learn to stop tolerating the bullsh*t boys throw at you

It's never been in my nature to be anything other than straightforward, so I'm not afraid to call people out for doing sh*t I don't like. F*ckboys will test you on every single level. Your patience will grow thinner with each boy, and eventually, you'll learn the invaluable skill of calling people on out their f*ckery before it's too late. Don't take sh*t from anyone, honey.

8. The stories are priceless

I can confidently say that my years in college would not have been nearly as exciting, heartbreaking, or aggravating if I didn't go through my hoe phase. Arguably, I'd be a little saner and my friends and I could've avoided thousands of useless rants, but I don't regret anything. My hoe phase has definitely shaped me, and I have enough laughs for years.

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Sure, a hoe phase isn't for everyone, but it can be as short or long as you want, so if you've ever needed a reason to give it a try, here are eight. What are you waiting for?

(Note: Safe and consensual sex is the best sex. Never be afraid to speak up or seek help if you are uncomfortable or believe you are in danger.)