8 Reasons Why Titans Fans Love #8

8 Reasons Why Titans Fans Love #8

Because he's just Marcus.

67
8 Reasons Why Titans Fans Love #8
Titans Online

If you live anywhere remotely close to Tennessee, you’ve more than likely heard of a guy named Marcus. If you have no interest in the NFL, maybe you even thought he lives in the neighborhood the way your friends and family talk about him like he comes over for dinner at least once a week. If you listen a little longer, then you might hear the unmistakable last name Mariota, (pronounced like Mario-ta, not Mary-ota) and now you know who we’re talking about it. But to us Titans fans he’ll always be just Marcus, our quarterback. He’s had us wrapped around his finger and rooting for him since he stepped off the plane in Nashville. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t even trade him for Tom Brady. So why do we love this man so much? I could give you one hundred and twelve reasons, but for today we’ll just go with 8. I think Marcus would like that.

1.Mari- GOAT- a

Titans fans affectionately refer to Marcus as Mari-GOAT-a because to us he is exactly that, the Greatest Of All Time. In 2015, his jersey was the best-selling jersey in all of the league, out-selling even the great Tom Brady of the New England Patriots and his rival, Jameis Winston whom many argued the Titans should take over Marcus Mariota. The two have been compared and contrasted extensively in their time in the NFL.

2. Winner Winner Heisman Dinner

In 2014, Marcus Mariota was awarded the 80th Heisman Trophy Award, making him the first player from the University of Oregon (where he was the star quarterback from 2012-2014) and the first Hawaiian to ever win the prestigious award. The Heisman trophy is awarded each year to the most outstanding player in all of college football. Marcus didn’t just win; he dominated the votes, receiving 788 of the 894 votes counted. That’s my quarterback, y’all.

3. Hawaiian Tennesseean

I mean Aloha! Marcus Mariota was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. Marcus’ heritage is very important to him, and here in Tennessee we have embraced his heritage with open arms. I mean where else do you get to wear leis for home games. Marcus led St. Louis High School to a state title, finishing with an 11-1 record his senior year, earning him the title Interscholastic League of Honolulu Offensive Player of the Year. Pretty impressive, huh? Not to mention his island complexion makes that two tone blue look even better

4.Humble

You will never encounter a more humble human being. His interviews are short, and he is a man of few words. But anytime you ask him a question, it all goes back to the team. He never takes credit, he only finds ways that he can better. It’s never about Marcus, it’s always about the Titans. He’s not Superman like Cam Newton. He’s just Marcus, and that’s enough!

5.That Boy Can Move

Marcus was a track star in high school, and that much is obvious without pulling up his high school records online. The boy can flat out move. Titans fans are accustomed to having quarterbacks that showcase their speed and aren’t afraid to move out of the pocket, as has been evident in precious quarterbacks, Steve McNair, Vince Young, and Jake Locker. Marcus Mariota pens his name to that list as well. Marcus isn’t afraid to use his legs, and there are few times that Nissan Stadium gets louder than when our quarterback is on the run.

6. He's a Man of Character

You never see Marcus on the news for a DUI; he’s not out in the midst of bar shootings. That isn’t who he is, and we love him for it. He’s 23 years old and has never once had a sip of alcohol; I mean how many 23- year old men can say that especially those who are the stars of your Sunday. He's always out and about in the community, whether it's a Preds game or the Habitat for Humanity House. He’s a quarterback you can bring home to mom, and I can attest to the fact that he is genuinely one of the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting (not to mention he has excellent grammar!).

7. Always Wants to be Better

If you ask anyone of his fellow two-tone blue warriors they’ll tell you that Marcus always just wants to be better. He is always giving 120%, whether it’s overcoming an injury or breaking down the game film. Good is never good enough. He pushes everyone around to match his effort, making him the perfect leader.

8. Stats Don't Lie

In his rookie debut against none other than Jameis Winston and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Marcus racked up 209 passing yards and scoring a perfect passer rating of 158.3, never done before in the NFL. In 2016 he was named the NFL Offensive Player of the Year. He was also the first player since 1983 to pass, rush, and catch a touchdown all over 40 yards. That’s Marcus. At the end of the 2016 season, Mariota finished with 3,426 passing yards with a ratio of 26:9 touchdowns to interceptions.

Maybe it’s just me, but here in Tennessee Marcus is our man. What can we, we love him! I mean who wouldn’t? Plus he is a beautiful human being. And we’ll love him even more when he’s holding up that Lombardi!