8 Reasons Why Big Brother Is The Best Show Of The Summer

For now, let's eavesdrop on the house guests.

112
msecnd.net

Alas, my favorite time of the year has arrived. No; not summer, but "Big Brother" season. For, it is the only time of the year that I can justify binge-watching surveillance cameras, planning my Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays around air times, and resisting the urge to read those tantalizing spoiler websites. My "Big Brother" super-fandom was born when I started watching the show in season 10 and has only grown stronger since then. Any avid BB fan would completely agree with me that this show is highly addicting and can be a very, very dangerous thing. In fact, it is so addicting that only eight reasons to try and explain all of its perplexity is complicated, to say the least.

1. It's glorified stalking; or is it?

Whether you are watching the regular program that airs on CBS, "Big Brother After Dark," or even the live feeds, you can easily forget that in the grand scheme of things you are stalking 16 completely random strangers from all over the United States. Sure, I may not personally know the contestants but I could tell you their hometown, profession, quirks, and overall personality; not to mention who smokes cigarettes, has a twin and who is openly racist (*cough cough* Aaryn).

2. Your predictions from night one are almost always wrong.

As easy as it is to get attached to a contestant, it’s just as easy to see them walk out the front door the same week. Unfortunately for anyone who was a fan of Jodi from season 14, they only got to enjoy six hours of her in her "Big Brother" life. Every year, I try to predict the showmances, secret alliances and potential winners, and to my dismay, nearly none of them have actually been accurate.

3. You learn to "expect the unexpected."

Just when the show gets comfortable and your favorite contestant is doing well, Julie Chen - in all of her cunning ways - will announce a new twist on the house guests. Most of the time, this “twist” requires some cruel change to the game that always leaves the house in a frenzy and leaves the viewers going crazy waiting for the next episode.

4. Everyone shares the same vexation for floaters.

For those who don’t speak the language of BB: a floater is a contestant who seems to get by from week to week, rarely wins competitions and their only airtime consists of them complaining in the Diary Room about the contestants who are actually worthy of $500,000. Most of the times, these contestants are slowly kicked off towards the middle of the season, or in some cases are brutally called out by Rachel Riley.

5. It can become a dating show.

Everyone can get their romance fix for the summer with "Big Brother." Some contestants will literally put more effort into looking good around the house and attracting the opposite sex than they will their own game. Half a million? No thanks, but I’ll take the hot baseball player from Texas! Now, I am not completely cold hearted and hate every “showmance” in "Big Brother" history, but when they work together, one person typically just rides the others' coattails and undeservingly stays pretty late in the game. Trust me; I think Jeff and Jordan were as adorable as the next person, but her game play sucked. Danielle and Shane from season 14 were one of the most powerful couples this game has seen. They both made it very far into the game and posed as serious physical competitors and won challenges that needed to be won.

6. Everyone has their own idea of what "slop" tastes like.

Only the contestants can honestly speak for this one, but by the looks of it, slop looks to me like it would taste like gravy flavored oatmeal. No thanks.

7. The contestants absolutely lose their minds.

I’ve only been watching the show for eight seasons now, and I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen people get sent home due to fights over Fruit Loops, a “white trash wedding” where the entire wedding party were wearing white and black trash bags, Dan Gheesling host a funeral for himself, twins posing as the same person, the list goes on.

8. I absolutely lose my mind.

Basically, me in my natural habitat for all of summer is constantly checking my phone for spoiler updates, canceling plans on Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, and getting anxiety on any other day of the week because "Big Brother" isn’t on. I forget that life is going on around me and that I perhaps am not in the BB house (even though I totally could be).

So, to any of my friends or family members, if you are wondering why I am completely disconnected from reality and have all of a sudden become very unsocial here is your answer.

Always remember, "Big Brother" is always watching. Or maybe it’s the other way around.