8 Pros And Cons Of Curly Hair

8 Pros And Cons Of Curly Hair

Cute curls or messy mop?

3727
Google

I have what I consider wavy hair, while my mother has extremely curly hair. Although our hair styles look different, we both have to give special attention and treatment to our hair. Unlike straight hair, curly and wavy hair act differently under any circumstances, whether it is rain, shine, snow, or heat. Sometimes it is a blessing to have curly hair, while other times it is not. Whether you have curly or wavy hair I think we can all relate to these constant struggles and great benefits of having this type of hair.

1. Pro: Easy to notice.

Curly hair is an incomplete dominant gene, meaning there could be many versions of curly hair, like wavy or very tight curls. In a busy hangout place or workplace, having short corkscrew like hair is easy to spot out. Curly hair guarantees that you’ll be noticed no matter where you are and that’s a good thing.

2. Pro: Adaptability.

One of the biggest advantages of having beautiful curly hair is the adaptability of it. Wearing your hair down with a cute headband or wearing it up with a simple bun is always in style! Adding headbands or exotic types of braids look completely fashionable and are easy to pull off.

3. Pro: Lack of shampooing.

From not shampooing your hair for a day or two to not needing to blow dry your hair, your curly hair is definitely low maintenance! Like your straight hair friends, once they skip a day of washing their hair, their hair goes flat and boring. When you skip a day or two of washing, your hair has a new bounce to it! Did I mention, that less shampoo, equals saved time and money?

4. Pro: Fewer knots and tangles.

When curly hair is tangled, it is a lot less noticeable than knotted straight hair. Straight hair also know to get more split ends,which are very obvious. And of course, curly hair is unique and beautiful! Girls with straight hair spend countless hours on curling their hair with products and high temperatures, which can be unhealthy for your hair. You are blessed with naturally curly hair and you should be proud to show it off!

5. Con: Humidity.

With that many positives of beautiful hair, curly hair must have some negatives. Humidity is not your friend. Especially during hot and stick weeks of July and August, my hair looks like a lion’s mane, unless it is pulled back in a tight bun, and even that doesn’t tame my poofy hair.

6. Con: Cannot show the full length of your hair.

The full length of your hair does not show. Because the curls are twisted, it looks they are so much shorter than what your hair actually is. The only time you can see the full length of your hair is when it is wet or straightened. Also, when you get your haircut, you ask for an inch off but it looks like half your hair was cut off since your curls bounce back when they are not wet from the hair salon.

7. Con: Straightening is a no.

Although curly hair has many styling advantages, if you do not want a version of curly hair, it takes hours to style your hair differently, like straightening it. My hair, like I said is wavy, takes a least a hour to straighten my hair, imagine what it takes from someone with super tight curls? Sometimes, styling takes professional skills and products that could be expensive.

8. Con: Brushing is also a no.

Dry brushing can lead to split end and breakage and combing or brushing your hair dry will cause frizziness. After brushing your hair with a dry hairbrush, the next morning your hair is filled with fly-aways and is still frizzy. To prevent this you could use detangle spray, oils, or even a wet hairbrush.