8 Pieces Of Advice For Incoming Freshman

Are you prepared?

12
Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce

College. You've listened to your parents talk about it since you were knee high to a grasshopper. You've been dreaming of it all through high school. This is your first taste of sweet freedom. You are now a lone ranger, embarking on a big new adventure called “the real world.”

For me, it was rare that I could get my algebra homework to school without a coffee stain or dog slobber. My locker would overflow by the third week, and I almost never made it to homeroom on time. The thought of moving away, going to college, and becoming an adult made me want to crawl up in a ball and evaporate. What if I get lost? What if I never make any friends? What if I flunk out? These kinds of questions would turn in my head day and night, all summer long after high school graduation. The good news is, college isn't that bad. Here a few things I wish I knew coming into my freshman year of college.

1. Have a plan.

I’m sure you’ve heard, “Well, it’s okay if you don’t know what you want to be yet. You have plenty of time to decide.” While there is some truth to that, there are a few things you might need to consider. Because of this idea that I didn’t have to have it all figured out, I floated through freshman and sophomore (and junior) year on a whim. It wasn’t until senior year when I really found my calling. By then, I had a lot of backtracking to do if I ever wanted to graduate in my field of choice. I also spent a lot of money on courses that I didn’t need for my newfound major. If you haven’t found your niche, don’t freak out. You do have time, but use your time and money wisely while you try to figure it out.

2. Learn your campus.

Sure, it’s a lot to take in, but once you become familiar with your location, you’ll be able to utilize student learning centers and tutoring services, health clinics, dining halls, and so much more. Like, fraternity row.

3. If you have the option, live in university housing.

I know- yuck. However, it’s one of the quickest ways to get involved and learn about your community. I lived in a freshman dorm with a randomly assigned suite mate. As miserable as I THOUGHT it would be, it was actually one of the best experiences. My suite mate quickly became one of my best friends. She taught me how to wash clothes, took care of me when I was sick, and was on call if I ever stayed out too late. By the end of the year, I was good friends with everyone on the hall. Sure, you might not get as lucky as I did, but what if you do?

4. Plan your schedule to fit you.

Choose your hours, professors, and days of the week. I thought college courses would be a lot to handle, so I started out with minimal hours. I also avoided early morning classes at all costs because, I mean, why? I planned strategically so that all of them would fall on Tuesday and Thursday, so I had plenty of free time to… study. Using ratemyprofessors.com gave me all the details I needed to choose professors that the student body favored. Be sure not to overload yourself; you can pace yourself in college, but remember that you have to graduate eventually.

5. Get involved.

My freshman year, I accepted a bid from a sorority. I could have never seen myself as a sorority girl in a million years, but despite my skepticism, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My sorority gave me about 100 different lunch dates, countless rides to class, a few tour guides, and a few therapists to vent to who understood the same stress. Sophomore year, I wanted to be even more involved, so through a connection with one of my sorority sisters, I became the executive assistant of SGA’s Vice President of Student Activities. Because of this, I got to learn more about my school and the students. I was able to help plan fun events that really brought our small college community together. What’s better than that? The more connections you make with your peers and professors within the community, the more opportunities you might have in the future.

6. Remember why you're here... Education.

I know- the freedom is exhilarating and the parties are fun, but classes are expensive. Math isn’t my forte, but let’s pretend it is for a second. Let’s say that one particular college course costs $1,000. Let’s also say that this course meets twice a week, for fourteen weeks. That’s about $36 wasted for each class you skip; it adds up quickly. Also, it’s easy for your GPA to drop but close to impossible to bring it back up in a timely manner. Professors take note of the students that attend regularly and inquire when they need help, which can help you or hurt you when grades are due each semester. If they see that you care enough to come to class and do the work, you shouldn’t have any problems.

7. Finance.

Living on your own is hard. Some students may have the financial help of their parents. Some students may not be as lucky. Either way, a part time job is something to consider. Money goes fast when you’re balling on a budget. Food, textbooks, and school supplies are only a few of the things that will break bank. Sometimes it comes down to whether you would rather spend your last dollar on a McChicken or a load of clean laundry. Be prepared to prioritize.

8. These are the best days of your life.

You’ll hear it over and over, but it’s true. As I’m preparing to graduate soon and embark on another new journey, it’s bittersweet to look back on all the obstacles I’ve overcome and memories I’ve created that I’ll cherish forever. My college experience has impacted me in ways I could have never imagined and has molded me into the person I never knew I could become. You will learn and grow. You will create relationships and connections. Soak it up, and be sure not to blink.