20 College Tips For The Class Of 2020

20 College Tips For The Class Of 2020

Are you ready for your freshman year?

14
20 College Tips For The Class Of 2020
UNF Spinnaker

It's that time of year again! The fall semester is beginning, which means new classes, friends, and of course, a new freshman class. As a sophomore looking back on last school year, there's tons of tips and tricks I learned that I wish someone would've told me as an incoming freshman. So, here are 20 tips for the freshman class of 2020 that are sure to help you through not only the first week, but your entire first year.

1. Make your class schedule your phone lock screen.

This is the number one thing I wish someone would've told me my first day. I was one of those freshman who was almost late to every class my first day because I spent 10 minutes pulling up my class schedule on my phone, whether it was through the browser, or trying to zoom in on the screenshot I took of it. So, to prevent any late arrivals, make your class schedule your lock screen for quick access to your building and room numbers as well as start times.

2. Read the syllabus thoroughly.

Syllabus week isn't just for relaxing in class before the real work hits you. Chances are, every class you take will have a syllabus, and there's an even greater chance the syllabus will answer every single question you have about the class: mandatory/optional attendance, assignment due dates, papers/projects, professor office hours, etc. Take some time to read them over and start getting organized with due dates.

3. If you don't like the sound of the class from the first day, drop it.

Unfortunately, you're not going to like every class you take in college. There were classes I was definitely not a fan of, and struggled just to get a B in. Unless it's a required class, if you don't like the overview of the class (class material, lectures, etc.) or it feels too overwhelming already, drop it. I've dropped classes just from not liking what I saw on the syllabus. Sometimes classes aren't what you'd thought they be. Drop the classes you don't like for ones you do. Simple!

4. Actually go to class.

Your parents or whoever is paying for you to go to college are spending a lot of money for you to be there. Get your money's worth! Attend class, do your work, and get good grades because you want to... and also so you didn't just waste those $200 for every credit hour for nothing.

5. If you live on campus, go to housing events/parties.

Living on a college campus, especially if you're far from home, can be tough to adjust to, and it can be difficult to meet new friends. There are always tons of welcome events that housing puts on to make it easy to find new friends. (Plus, there's usually free food. And who doesn't want that?)

6. As a matter of fact, go to all the Week of Welcome events!

If your school puts on a Week of Welcome with tons of events, try to go to ones that interest you! They're usually cookouts, comedy shows, and club tables set up around campus. They're another great way to meet new people, get interested in clubs, and get any questions you have about the campus answered.

7. Take advantage of your meal plan.

I can' stress this enough!!! Especially if your cafe is buffet style, eat as much as you need to, and take leftovers home if you can. The dorm life is a struggle when it comes to not having a full-sized kitchen, so if you go for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner, eat until your full. Trust me, no one is judging you.

8. The Freshman 15 is real. Like, really real.

I've always been a tiny 105 pounds after I hit puberty. So, when Christmas of freshman year came and I was at a whopping 135 pounds, I was definitely a member of the "I look a little pregnant but I'm actually just eating really good" club. It's very easy to put on weight, but that doesn't mean you can't combat it! Drinking water, eating fruits and vegetables, regular exercise, and desserts in moderation can help slow it down, or at least put the weight on in the places you'd like. (I'm now down to 125 pounds, healthy as a horse, and still thick - but now, in the right places.)

9. Try to get along with your roommate(s).

Your roommate is most likely the first person you'll meet when you get to campus, and they can either be your best friend, worst enemy, or just an awkward acquaintance. Get to know them! Once your families are gone, sit down and talk: where did you go to school? Where did you grow up? Do you do sports? What's your major? You'll be surprised! I guarantee you'll find out tons of similarities that you would've never known you two had. Not every roommate will be your dream roommate; the first set of roommates I had were definitely not my favorites. But, the roommate I now have has become one of my best friends in college, and now, roomies two years in a row. (Love ya Liz!)

10. If you start struggling in a class, get as much help as you can, as soon as you can.

You will have your struggles in college, and there's no shame in that! Don't wait until you're at a 34/F and it's two weeks before the end of the semester to try and get your grade up. If you're having a tough time understanding the lectures or homework, get help from your professor during their office hours. They're there for a reason! If you can't make office hours, get with a student who's passing the class with flying colors, join a study group, and check out other study aids on campus. You may not be an Einstein in the subject when you're done, but you'll feel great when you pass the test/exam you were sure you were going to fail.

11. Sleep, sleep, sleep!

I'm not going to lie: you will most likely pull at least one all-nighter during the year. It happens to all of us. But, getting a good amount of sleep is immensely important. Even if you have school, a job, and other daily activities, you have to fit in sleep somewhere. I'm definitely pro-nap during the day if you did lose out on some sleep the night before. But, getting an adequate amount of sleep will make you feel ready to take on what ever class or job you have to do the next day.

12. Study the way you know how.

You will hear lots of people tell you how to study, and you may think that's the only way to study in order to make good grades. But, it's simply not true. Study the way that works for you. If you can study in bed without getting too comfortable, do it. If you like to study with background noise, do it. If you like to study while eating, do it! Personally, I have to study little by little every day. On the other hand, my sister can go the whole week without looking at any notes, then look at them 10 minutes before taking the test. We both get As. Neither way is right or wrong in general, but it is right for us. Find the study routine that's right to you.

13. It's okay to get homesick.

Being away from your family every day can be really difficult. Everyone gets homesick, so if you're missing your family back home, call them, Facetime them, make plans for them to come see you, or visit home from a weekend. There were plenty of days I ate dinner with my family through my phone screen. Just know that you're away to better yourself and your education, and all of you will get adjusted to distance with time.

14. Talk to your advisers regularly.

Keeping in touch with your adviser regularly will ensure that you're staying on the right track to graduate on time. Ask them about what future classes you should be taking, how many credit hours you can handle at one time, and if you happen to fail a class, ask what options you have to retake it without getting behind in your degree track.

15. Mental health days are a must.

There will be days in the middle of the semester where you truly feel like your brain is about to break in half. You may also have a job that's also keeping you busy, which is adding more stress. If you truly feel mentally and physically drained, take a day off from class if you can. Take a day to relax, catch up on sleep, and do things that take away the stress. Ask someone from your class what you missed, and any assignments that may be due. Passing your classes is important, but not more important than keeping your mental health normal.

16. Look for internships, school trips, and hands-on opportunities.

Learning about material in your major is interesting, but actually doing things in that major/job field yourself is even greater. Take some time to learn about internships, special trips an organization in your school is having, or Study Abroad. You may find something that'll enhance your love for the field, and even make you think twice about if it's the major/job for you.

17. It's okay to go out to parties and have fun.

Of course, you're in college and you're there to get an education. But, that doesn't mean you have to keep yourself sheltered in your dorm 24/7. Going out and being social is a great way to let loose after a long stressful week, and if anything, it can be your motivation to get everything you need to done. If I'm going out with friends, I make sure all of my homework and lectures are done, read, and submitted before I go anywhere, so there's nothing to worry about when I get home. I didn't start branching out socially at parties until spring of my freshman year. I was less stressed, a lot happier, and actually made the Dean's List. Need I say more? Going to a party every weekend won't hurt you, as long as you're still keeping your schoolwork first. And as always, party responsibly.

18. Branch out to the city around you.

Tons of great things are going on outside of your campus. If you're in a new city, take a weekend to get to know the area! Find what there is to do, go sightseeing, and explore the world around you. Find new restaurants, festivals, and nice city gatherings. Luckily for my friends and I, the beach is ten minutes away from campus. Can you guess where we are after we're done with finals?

19. Stay safe, in every aspect.

When you get your college acceptance letter, no one tells you your chance of getting shot in the city you'll be moving to. No one tells you your chance of getting raped or kidnapped. No one tells you any of the bad things that could happen to you, but they're an unfortunate reality. This isn't meant to scare you into thinking one of these things will happen to you. It's meant to remind you to be safe. Be safe when you're walking anywhere late at night, even on your own campus. Be safe when it comes to the people you hang around, handling substances (when you're of age, of course), and even having sex. Protect yourself. Protect the good people around you. College is supposed to be a fun time, but a smart time as well.

20. Have school spirit!

Go to sporting events, fundraising events, and anything else that supports your school! You chose your school for a reason, so you should be proud of where you are. Wear your school colors on spirit days, cheer on sports teams, donate money to causes around school you love, and show everyone your school is the place to be.

I could think of a million more things to tell you, but 20 tips should be enough to get you started. This is college. These will be the coolest and most eye-opening four years of your life. I once read this from a professor somewhere, and it goes along the lines of: "You all have a little bit of 'I want to save the world' in you. That's why you're here, in college.I want you to know that it’s okay if you only save one person, and it’s okay if that person is you”

Go forth in the world, get your degree, a career, and make a difference to someone, anyone, everyone, yourself. Make new friends, get those As, have a little faith in the world and humanity, and become the best person you were destined to be.

And a little special note for the University of North Florida's Class of 2020, welcome to the nest and Go Ospreys!