8 NXT Matches That Prove WWE Still Cares About Wrestling

This list will definitely make you realize WWE still cares about pure wrestling fans.

185
World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

NXT, WWE's developmental brand, has been praised by fans as a great birthplace of future WWE stars. Since Seth Rollins won the first NXT Championship in 2012, Rollins and following champions have become popular names on WWE's main roster: Sami Zayn, Neville, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn Balor, and even established wrestler Samoa Joe. On the other hand, WWE has been criticized by many as being a company that focuses on entertainment through skits and microphones rather than showcasing pure wrestling. When CEO Vince McMahon began the 'PG Era' (when all WWE programming went under the PG label following 2008), many fans witnessed WWE become a variety show of some sorts. Producing five minute matches and such, WWE ushered in a lackluster effort of bringing in celebrities, sponsored skits, and even a not-so-good movie campaign via their WWE Studios department.

NXT's inception was brought about by WWE COO and legendary wrestler Triple H, who has always been focused more on wrestling rather than how the product sells through merchandising skits. Triple H's creation of NXT brought about a different kind of product: showcasing young star's potential in the ring and also helping them become an established star once called up to the main roster. Their Takeover events have been seen as NXT's version of pay-per-views, whether taken place throughout the world or in their home arena at Full Sail University in Florida. These eight matches before you are some examples of how NXT focuses more on the pure wrestling element rather than microphone skills and skits.

8. Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd vs Tyler Breeze vs Sami Zayn (2014, NXT Takeover: Fatal 4-Way)

The NXT Championship has been regarded as a very important piece to NXT since the brand's creation. The fact that NXT's top prize could be taken legit by fans instead of being a 'paper title' before heading to the main roster is one thing, while the other is seeing four of NXT's top stars at the time go at it at the same time.

The 24-minute match included some of the best moments NXT had to offer: all four men in one corner using each other with different moves like a domino effect, near-falls, and the atmosphere that either one of these talented wrestlers could win the title. It was truly a match that many fans can re-watch over and over again.

7. Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch (2015, NXT Takeover: Unstoppable)

Two of WWE's 'Four Horsewomen' were packaged together as allies when Sasha Banks won the title in late 2014. As 2015 rolled on, these two became bitter enemies as Becky Lynch eyed Sasha's NXT Women's Championship. NXT's Women's Division was starting to become more and more prestigious as that year continued, and this match showed how far both of these wrestlers could go in order to capture that division's championship.

The match can be considered underrated due to both competitor's endurance, skill and tenacity as their match became a full-fledged war outside the ring. Becky's rise as one of the top faces (good) was perfectly solidified in this match, along with Sasha's potential as a heel (bad) coming full circle. This match is something to look out for as a definite candidate in NXT's history books.

6. Tyler Bate vs Pete Dunne (2017, NXT Takeover: Chicago)

At the beginning of this year, WWE produced a two-night special in the UK where a tournament was held to crown WWE's first United Kingdom Champion. UK wrestling has always been looked over even though some of the best wrestlers have hailed from Great Britain, Ireland, and even Scotland. Regarded as a hybrid of hard-hitting wrestling mixed with some aerial offense, WWE took the opportunity to bring in some of the best UK wrestlers and let them showcase their potential. Tyler Bate, the first UK champion and youngest WWE Champion at 19, defended the title at NXT's Chicago event this past May against a very underrated and brutish man by the name of Pete Dunne.

Although it could be a case of fresh interest, this match is surely something else with both men fighting for fifteen minutes in what many fans are calling the best match of that night. Their skill in the ring meshed perfectly, and it added to the resume of NXT's influx of pure wrestling. Also, legendary commentator Jim Ross appeared for only that match, and that's something to be grateful for.

5. Sami Zayn vs Cesaro in a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match (2013, NXT TV)

Though this match could be ranked a bit higher, it is still a definite contender as the greatest match in NXT's history. Two unknowns at the time, these two men went beyond expectations in a heavy-hitting match that also told an incredible story. Building a rivalry around Cesaro's power and Zayn's underdog stature, this match won fans over as NXT was continuing to rise.

Zayn's perfect blend of desperation and continued attempts to overpower his opponent also helped Cesaro become a definite name to watch as he would underestimate Zayn at times. As fans began to invest themselves in the story, it is the fans themselves that also help make this match as one of NXT's finest matches of all time. Good job to both of you, good sirs.

4. Finn Balor vs Kevin Owens in a Ladder Match (2015, NXT Takeover: Brooklyn)

Kevin Owens was riding on an incredible run in the summer of 2015: building an intense rivalry with John Cena on the main roster while also being NXT Champion at the same time. Although this list does not provide spoilers, it is clear that Owens lost the title at WWE's Beast in the East event in Tokyo that July to rising NXT star Finn Balor. At NXT's first non-Florida Takeover event, Balor and Owens battled in a massive ladder war at the Barclays Center.

The match, being the second ladder match in NXT history, was a blend of incredible pure wrestling mixed with ladders being used not only to climb, but to inflict damage to both men. Both men proved that even with a ladder, NXT could be seen on the same level as WWE's main roster PPVs.

3. Bayley vs Sasha Banks in a 30-Minute IronMan Match (2015, NXT Takeover: Respect)

Coming off their incredible match at Takeover Brooklyn, Bayley and Sasha Banks would fight once again in a match that enamors tenacity. A winner would be declared via how many pinfalls or submissions both women achieved within that 30 minute time limit, and it provided NXT with the final etching that NXT's women's division was surely a division to look out for.

The match, being the main event, solidified both women's success at being wrestlers, while also showing the world that even wrestlers of the opposite gender could put on one of the finest and purest wrestling matches of all time.

2. The Revival vs #DIY in a 2-out-of-3 Falls match (2016, NXT Takeover: Toronto)

Yet another 2/3 Falls matches, this one has been called one of the best tag team matches in both NXT and WWE history. Two-time NXT Tag Team Champions The Revival were feuding heavily with underdog tag team #DIY throughout late 2016, and their incredible bout at Takeover: Toronto proved that tag team wrestling is very much alive.

The match actually won NXT's Match of the Year award during NXT's End-of-the-Year awards in January 2017, beating out a whole list of candidates. #DIY's potential came front and center as fans lost their minds witnessing a living classic in front of them. The fans also help make the match something to watch because of their support of both tag teams. These two teams definitely produced one of the best tag team matches in NXT's history.

Before Number 1 is discussed, here are some honorable mentions: Adrian Neville vs Bo Dallas (NXT Takeover Arrival); Samoa Joe vs Finn Balor (NXT Takeover London); Charlotte vs Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch vs Bayley (NXT Takeover: Rival); American Alpha vs The Revival (NXT Takeover: Dallas); Seth Rollins vs Big E Langston (2013 NXT TV); Asuka vs Bayley (NXT Takeover: Dallas).

1. Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura (2016, NXT Takeover: Dallas)

Sami Zayn's labeling as the "Heart and Soul of NXT" was something Zayn was very proud of, and when he returned to the ring in late 2015 after an injury, he saw that the brand had changed. Hinting at being called up to the main roster in February 2016, Zayn appeared variously at NXT, feuding with Samoa Joe until finally wanting competition at that April's Takeover: Dallas. GM William Regal did not dissapoint, setting up a match between NXT's resident star Sami Zayn and NXT's latest signee and New Japan star, Shinsuke Nakamura.

Fans were presented with a treat that night in Dallas, where two men with different wrestling backgrounds went toe-to-toe in an incredible bout. Although number 2 on this list was awarded NXT's 2016 MOTY, this match was definitely a close tie. Zayn's tenacity to take Nakamura off guard meshed perfectly with Nakamura's skill with his leg-oriented offense. Fans were on their feet for this match the entire time, and once again providing WWE audiences the fact that NXT takes pure wrestling as a priority rather than merchandising skits and such.

You're probably wondering, "Hey, are there any more NXT matches to watch that offer pure wrestling?" or even "Why are you such a Sami Zayn fanboy?" In fact, Sami Zayn is the perfect piece to all of this: he will go down as a cornerstone and one of many who paved the way for NXT's rise as a top brand for their skill in the ring and their will to provide audiences more for their buck in a world where wrestling and entertainment are sometimes not mixed well. For other NXT matches that did not make this list, please take in account that any match in NXT history can be a prime example of why it is such a wrestling-oriented product.