8 Non-traditional Holiday Movies

8 Non-traditional Holiday Movies

These aren't your parents' holiday movies.

94
8 Non-traditional Holiday Movies
Phoenix New Times

How many times have you seen Elf? Seriously, never in my life have I actively said, "Yes, I want to watch Elf right now, yet I've seen it upwards of seven times. It's not a bad movie, but please just let us watch something else.

The classics are classics for a reason, but variety is the spice of life. Move over It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, and Charlie Brown. If you're looking for some weird and different movies this holiday season, here are some options.

8. Krampus.

Krampus came out to middling reviews and some popularity, but overall I don't know many people who have seen this. The premise is there's a demon named Krampus who comes for people who have lost the true spirit of Christmas. It is a horror movie, but hear me out. It's a lot more campy horror than real dread. It's a fun scary movie to watch with people, maybe after some eggnog. I think getting a little scared together is a great way to bond, so I highly recommend this lighter, Christmas-themed horror. Plus, it serves as a good reminder that Christmas is about coming together no matter how dysfunctional we all are.

7. Black Mirror's White Christmas.

Here's one on Netflix for you. It's also only about an hour and a half, so it doesn't require you too much time if you've got other festivities planned. White Christmas has a couple sub-stories within a larger narrative and pulls it off well. Unfortunately, and this isn't a spoiler if you know anything about Black Mirror, this isn't the lighthearted Christmas romp like most classics. It gets heavy, and the ending will leave you thinking for a while.

6. Die Hard.

This movie is a classic in my book, but it doesn't always come up on everyone's list. Die Hard is the quintessential action movie that everyone deserves to see. The plot is simple, there's no fluff, and it is just a quality story about a good guy trying to save the day. Admittedly, if you're looking for a movie about Christmas/holiday morals, there are better options, but this is the pick if you want something fun.

5. Edward Scissorhands.

We could all learn to be a little more accepting, especially during the holidays, and Edward Scissorhands is just the movie for it. It stars Depp before pirates playing a very quiet character with scissors for hands. The title is that literal. Lots of misadventures occur, and there's a lot here for thinking about people different than yourself. Depp portrays a powerful range of emotions without needing to say much. If you and your family or friends are looking for something with a little darker aesthetic that will still make you feel great in the end, try this one out.

4. Freaky Friday.

While the setting isn't exactly the holidays, there are few better family movies than Freaky Friday. I've shamelessly seen this at least five times, and I still love it. A rebellious teenage girl and her seemingly overbearing mom switch bodies and have to live as the other. It turns into a very fun and sweet story about understanding and coming together as a family: Perfect for the holidays.

3. The Sandlot.

Maybe all the snow has got you longing for summer. The Sandlot can help. It's the story of an outsider kid who meets some new friends and goes on a summer adventure. The Sandlot captures this idealized summer vacation that is immensely fun and heartwarming to watch. The holidays are about friends just as much as family and this movie really lets you know how great friends can be.

2. John Q.

I don't often cry at movies, especially when I'm watching them with other people. John Q and the next movie on the list are a couple exceptions. Why do I include movies I cry at for this holiday list? Because they're fantastic, duh. John Q is the story of a father who's son needs a heart transplant, but they can't get the money for the procedure. Eventually, the father is driven to take drastic measures to save his son's life. It's a beautiful story that is all about the importance of family, perfect for the holidays. Just be ready with tissues.

1. The Iron Giant.

Alright, let me preface this by saying The Iron Giant is one of my favorite movies of all time and I'd probably include it on any movie list I make. 'Movies to watch at Thanksgiving', 'Movies to watch on your birthday', 'Movies to watch on days that end with y'... You get it. I would watch this movie a lot more, but honestly, I get too emotional. Still, I've seen it more times than I can count and I will eagerly show it to anyone who hasn't. The story is about a boy who finds an alien machine, The Iron Giant, who was sent to Earth but doesn't seem to remember why. The boy and the Giant become good friends and have some adventures together all while the military is looking for the Giant to kill it. While writing this, I decided to look up the last couple scenes on YouTube and that was all it took. Had to take a nice cry break. Anyway, this movie is just great and I think it's especially good for anyone who is afraid the holidays won't be happy this year. It incorporates a lot of the themes I've been talking about on this list, and it's even set during the winter. Please, just watch The Iron Giant.