8 Feminists You Should Meet

8 Feminists You Should Meet

You might not be able to formally shake their hands, but here's your introduction to eight of some of the greatest and most influential feminists of our time... and before.

5
8 Feminists You Should Meet
The Washington Post

Preface: I didn't know how to put these woman in an order, how am I supposed to categorize greatness? So I've decided on oldest to youngest.

1. Elizabeth Cady Stanton

A long overdue “thank you” should be directed towards this brilliant woman. She was an American suffragist (yes suffragist, so like really old-17th century stuff), social activist, abolitionist, and president of the National Woman Suffrage Association. Stanton basically started the first women’s rights and women’s suffrage movements in the U.S after writing the Declaration of Sentiments, which debunked all the crazy myths that “proved” why men are better than women. You go Glen Coco.

“The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.”

“Womanhood is the great fact in her life; wifehood and motherhood are but incidental relations.”

“The best protection any woman can have... is courage.”

2. Betty Friedan

Back in the early 60s, there were the American housewives with their hair done, dress on and whisk in hand… and then there was Betty Friedan. In 1963, Betty wrote The Feminine Mystique, unveiling how ideals of femininity (women confined to the household) created depression and angst within women. Her goal was to bring women out of the home and into the workplace, encouraging them to talk about their goals as humans and not just as wives and mothers.

“When she stopped conforming to the conventional picture of femininity she finally began to enjoy being a woman.”

“It is easier to live through someone else than to complete yourself. The freedom to lead and plan your own life is frightening if you have never faced it before. It is frightening when a woman finally realizes that there is no answer to the question 'who am I' except the voice inside herself.”

“Who knows what women can be when they are finally free to become themselves? Who knows what women's intelligence will contribute when it can be nourished without denying love?”

3. Shirley Chisholm

She had a thing for firsts. First African American woman elected to United States Congress. First woman to have her name placed in nomination for. President at the Democratic National Convention. First African American to be on the ballot as a candidate for President. We could learn a thing or two from this bold and brave woman who navigated through the white sea of men that was United States government in the 60s and 70s.

“Tremendous amounts of talent are lost to our society just because that talent wears a skirt.”

“Be as bold as the first man or [woman] to eat an oyster. ”

“We must reject not only the stereotypes that others hold of us, but also the stereotypes that we hold of ourselves.”

4. Gloria Steinem

Basically the biggest icon (and BA) of 2nd wave feminism. Think middle part, circle sunglasses and a fired up attitude over issues of equality. She’s just as glorious as her name suggests. As a writer, lecturer, political activist and feminist organizer, Steinem continues to fight for gender equality through lectures and media appearances.

‪"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."

"If women are supposed to be less rational and more emotional at the beginning of our menstrual cycle when the female hormone is at its lowest level, then why isn't it logical to say that, in those few days, women behave the most like the way men behave all month long?"

“Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It's about making life more fair for women everywhere. It's not about a piece of the existing pie; there are too many of us for that. It's about baking a new pie.”

5. Robin Morgan

Another BA from the 70s who just happens to be a BFF of Gloria Steinem. With Gloria and Jane Fonda (actress and activist), she cofounded the Women’s Media Center that’s focus on the need for more women in media ownership (and Lord knows we do). Robin has been a key radical feminist in the American Women’s Movement since the early 60s and has been accredited with starting the contemporary feminist movement in the US. She not only rocks turtlenecks, but is also a poet, author, activist, journalist and lecturer. Fun fact: she was also a child actor.

“Women are not inherently passive or peaceful. We're not inherently anything but human.”

“Carry yourself as one who will change the world, because you will.”

6. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

You know that part of "Flawless" where Bey stops singing and we get a little lesson as to what feminism is? Yeah, that smooth and confident voice is Chimamanda’s. This woman is incredibly brilliant and talented. She is a Nigerian author and has received numerous awards, as well as gave the most bomb Tedx talk I’ve ever seen. Seriously, go YouTube it, its called We Should all be Feminists. It’ll make you laugh, want to cry (in a good way) and will be filled with lots of aha moments, as Oprah would say.

“We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, you can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful. Otherwise, you would threaten the man.”

“Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don’t teach boys the same?”

7. Beyoncé

Is an explanation necessary? Queen B, fearless leader of brave women everywhere and a self-proclaimed modern-day feminist and humanist. *plays Run the World while getting ready for class*

“A true diva is graceful, and talented, and strong, and fearless and brave and someone with humility.”

“I felt like it was time to set up my future, so I set a goal. My goal was independence.”

“We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead.”

8. Emma Watson

Hermione, DUH! But Emma Watson does more than just run around with two British guys fighting evil and whatnot. She’s also an activist, more specifically she was appointed as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and helped launched the Un Women campaign HeForShe. The campaign calls for men to advocate gender equality. Beauty and brainstimes a billion.

“When at 15, my girlfriends started dropping out of their beloved sports teams, because they didn’t want to appear muscle-y, when at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings, I decided that I was a feminist.”

"I was appointed six months ago, and the more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women's rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop."

"I feel like young girls are told that they have to be a princess and fragile. It's bullsh*t. I identify much more with being a warrior -- a fighter. If I was going to be a princess, I'd be a warrior princess. Definitely."