8 Essential USF Life Hacks To Survive Freshman Year, Part 2

There are too many to count, unbelievaBULL!

271
INTO University of South Florida

To kick off my time working as a content creator for Odyssey once again, I figured it was the perfect time to finally create my "part two" edition of "8 Essential USF Life Hacks To Survive Freshman Year." Only this time around, this "new semester, new me" agenda we all try to maintain won't work based solely on sheer luck and that vigorous extra flight of stairs you took to grab a candy bar downstairs last night. So, here it is: eight more USF life hacks to survive freshman year.

1. Attend office hours.

Even if you feel like you don't need help in your classes and that attending your professors' and TA's office hours are a waste of time, think again! Becoming friendly and acquainted with your professors and TA's comes with tons of perks. For example, if you attend office hours and ask questions, even if you know the answers, it demonstrates to your professors and TA's that you truly care and are a hardworking student. In the long run, you never know when you'll need help or a favor for your grade. Often, this connection pushes professors and TA's to curve your grade or give you extra points on assignments if you show to them that you tried your best, illustrate the importance of the assignment at hand, and, simply, ask them politely. Plus, I've experienced firsthand that letters of recommendation from professors are crucial for college scholarships and future employment.

2. Refill your water bottles.

With efforts to try to "go green" and conserve our planet, refillable water bottles are a must around our dehydrating, sunny South Florida campus. Many students have concerns with refilling their water bottles with water from sinks, water fountains, or even the designated water refilling stations that can be found in water fountains around campus. However, Florida law requires that any and all dining locations allow for water refills free of charge. This means that you can take your water bottle to any dining services location across campus and ask the cashier to refill your bottle with fresh, clean water. You can even ask for ice if desired. Just remember to take off the lid before you hand your water bottle over, as this is a dining services sanitary policy. Besides protecting our environment, you will save hundreds of dollars a year by skipping both those beverage vending machines and warehouse-sized packages of water bottles from Walmart that are tedious to haul up to your dorm.

3. Library basement study sessions.

Although the library is a typical hot study spot on campus, not many students have traveled below the first floor and into the basement. Personally, the library basement is my favorite location on campus; the basement if chocked full of interesting treasures. In the basement, you can find children's books, movies, records, astronomical maps of the universe, topographical maps of just about any place on earth from the sunshine state to the Swiss Alps, rare theses, dozens of governmental documents, dated newspapers, and even a variety of book subjects like insanity and musical therapy. Another unique aspect of the basement is that it consists of moving bookshelves. All of the bookshelves require cranking of a lever to slide the bookshelf back and forth. These bookshelves create a Harry Potter-esque vibe in the basement, which is magical in itself. Since the basement is rarely traveled to, it is truly the quietest floor of the library, and vacant of people almost all the time.

4. USF discounts.

Discounts. Discounts everywhere. Any stores and restaurants off, yet close to campus, are bound to have discounts for USF students. All you have to do is ask your cashier or waitress if that location offers any discounts for USF students, remember to bring along and show them your USF ID card, and you might have a bit of luck. If you're looking for a place to start, the University Mall and the University Collection Plaza are definite places to go. Some student discounts that everyone should be aware of is at Tijuana Flats, Five Star Pizza, Staples, Spotify, and even Choice Hotel chain hotels. Saving money around campus is truly simple, as businesses understand how college students have tight budgets. Remember, it doesn't hurt to ask!

5. Tapingo is your friend.

When you're rushing across campus with fifteen minutes until your next class starts, Tapingo will always be there for you. Tapingo is a mobile and online food ordering service. Simply download the app on your phone or go to the Tapingo website, and food ordering is literally at your fingertips. Whether you're in a rush, taking your food to-go, or don't feel like waiting in a twenty-minute line during the lunch rush, Tapingo helps you get your food quick and conveniently. USF and Tapingo have partnered together, and you can order food ahead at the library Starbucks, the Juniper Starbucks, Beef 'O' Brady's, the Cooper Subway, Pollo Tropical, Rising Roll, Einstein Bros Bagels, Camille's Sidewalk Cafe, the MSC Jamba Juice, the Champs Jamba Juice, and Smokehouse BBQ. I personally both use Tapingo often as well as work with Tapingo during my shifts at Pollo Tropical and honestly can vouch for its accuracy, speed, and convenience. After you placed your order, go to the cashier or expo worker at your desired location, and let them know you're here to pick up a Tapingo as well as providing them your name and proof of order.

6. Free planners located at the Marshall Student Center.

Any time of the year you can head over to the MSC, approach the front desk, ask for a student planner, show them your USF student ID, and be blessed with a free planner to help keep yourself organized and motivated throughout the year. At any store, you can spend around eight dollars for a planner, or you can pick one up for free: your choice. If you're picky about the organization within your planner like me, you'll be excited to hear about all of its convenient features. The MSC planners include sections divided into a monthly, calendar-styled section for each month, a lined notes section for each day of the year, a lined notebook-styled section, an emergency contacts and information section, and includes various guides and documents such as a list of USF traditions, the student handbook, and lists of student resource phone numbers. Since it is a school calendar-based planner, the month sections designate holidays, USF events, designated reading days, exam weeks, and vacation breaks. Two words: Organization Heaven.

7. Three Starbucks locations.

Be prepared to unleash your inner #basic, because there are actually three Starbucks locations at USF! Besides the Starbucks in the library and the Starbucks in Juniper, there is a secret Starbucks location inside the Moffitt Cancer Center. Getting some Starbucks for your caffeine fix is actually accessible on the medical side of campus. To be honest, the Starbucks isn't actually a full Starbucks location. The location inside Moffitt is really called Common Grounds Coffee Shop, which serves Starbucks products as well. The coffee shop inside Moffitt is located on the first floor in the Muriel Rothman Building. Don't feel intimidated to step inside this medical metropolis of a building, everyone needs to indulge in some Starbucks treats every once in a while, even doctors too!

8. MyUSF Mobile app calendar.

We've all ended using the MyUSF Mobile app from time to time, whether you're checking up on your laundry or looking up BullRunner bus routes. However, not until recently have I discovered the true beauty of the Calendar option on the app. When you click on the calendar option on the app's main page, the app takes you to a page with different options where you can view USF events on any given day. As a busy student, keeping up with campus events or learning about fun USF activities can be a bit of a struggle. However, with this calendar option, you have every big USF campus event spelled out for every day for each week. Now, organization becomes ten times easier and you can find out about involvement opportunities wherever you go, whenever you please.

As the last semester of freshman year continues on, keep in mind these eight helpful USF life hacks, as you surely won't feel like a newbie on this vast campus anymore. Until next time, remember to open your eyes and discover the many secrets that USF is waiting to offer you.