8 Conspiracy Theories Crazy Enough To Be True

How many do you believe?

3001
Colossos

Conspiracy theories, whether almost believable or totally wacky, constantly consume both the media and the general population. Even the most unbelievable theories get us thinking that history may have happened differently. Here are some of the most popular conspiracy theories.

1. The Apollo astronauts did not land on the moon.

One of the most popular conspiracy theories is that NASA staged Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin’s landing on the moon. People have said that the photos taken were actually in a set and doubters base their theories on the fact that it seems that there is a movie set camera in photos, that the flag is blowing but there is no wind in space, and on the lack of stars in the sky.

2. Princess Diana’s death was not an accident.

Theories surfaced that Princess Diana’s death in a French tunnel in 1997 was not a car accident, but instead that she was murdered. There are actually many different theories that say her death was a murder, but an old theory resurfaced recently when Diana’s journals were read by her son. She wrote to her butler in October of 1993, “My husband is planning ‘an accident’ in my car. Brake failure and serious head injury in order to make the path clear for him to marry Tiggy.” This eerie prediction, coupled with the fact that the accident conveniently happened in a tunnel, seems almost too perfect not to believe.

3. Lee Harvey Oswald wasn’t JFK’s only killer.

After Kennedy’s assassination, the investigation’s finding that three shots were fired did not match with eye witness accounts that four shots were fired, and one was from a different place than where Lee Harvey Oswald was. People claim that the government was in on the attack and had another shooter, possibly from the CIA, hiding in the shrubs.

4. Paul McCartney died, and the Beatles replaced him with a lookalike.

The theory that Paul McCartney died in a car accident in 1966 and then replaced by a lookalike is a story that has been around for years. Theorists claim that the Beatles left many hints for their followers that Paul was actually dead. One of the most famous hints was that Paul is barefoot and out of step with the other Beatles on the cover of Abbey Road. Two other hints is that when the songs “Revolution 9” and “I’m So Tired” are played backwards, you can hear “dead man” and “Paul is a dead man, miss him, miss him,” respectively. However, the most convincing piece of “evidence” is that at the end of “Strawberry Fields Forever,” John Lennon can be heard saying “I buried Paul.” He claims he was saying cranberry sauce, but that’s a little random. Click here to have a listen for yourselves!

5. Shakespeare wasn’t Shakespeare.

Due to lack of biographical information on Shakespeare, many people claim he may not have existed at all. We don’t even know when he was born. Historians guess he was born on April 26, the same day he died. This fishy information has led many people to guess that Shakespeare may actually have been a different writer, such as William Stanley or Francis Bacon.

6. Lindsay Lohan’s now dead twin actually co-starred with her in "The Parent Trap."

This is hands-down my favorite conspiracy theory because I can’t imagine it being true in the slightest. But some people claim that "The Parent Trap" did not actually use split screen and that Lohan had a twin sister. The theories say that the twin died, or maybe was murdered and because Lindsay was a great actress at the time, they did not want the death to taint her reputation. So it was covered up and people claim that Lindsay living with the covering up of her sister’s death explains all the turmoil and drug problems she faced later in life.

7. Debris found in New Mexico was from a UFO.

When something fell from the sky in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947, the U.S. government confirmed it was from an UFO, but later changed its story and said it was from a weather balloon. Then morticians claimed they did autopsies on alien bodies, but that was covered up by saying there were military test dummies on sight and that the soldiers had transformed memories due to traumatic events. Either way, the stories and rebuttals have had people believing that there is life on other planets.

8. The government planned 9/11.

This is, for me, the most utterly ridiculous story I have ever heard. It’s actually a shame that this is such a popular theory and that so many people believe it. I literally cringe whenever I hear someone say “Bush did 9/11.” It’s beyond disrespectful and they actually just sound uneducated. But theories that the government blew up the Twin Towers or that the government knew but chose not to stop the attacks because they wanted a reason to go to war in the Middle East will continue to surface. I just truly hope no one believes it.