8 Animated Movies That AREN'T Disney

8 Animated Movies That AREN'T Disney

These are a few nonDisney films that I feel deserve recognition.

157
8 Animated Movies That AREN'T Disney

I am what you might call a Disney fanatic (or "Disnerd"). However, there are some fantastic animated films out there that aren't produced by Disney. Here is a list of some (although not all) excellent films that I feel deserve just as much recognition as many Disney films:

1. Anastasia (1997)

Although it is often mistaken as a Disney movie, Anastasia is a 20th Century Fox film by former Disney animation directors Don Bluth and Gary Goldman. Anastasia is based on a real-life figure,the daughter of the last Russian tsar, Nicholas II. The royal adviser Rasputin plotted to kill off the Romanov family; however, rumor had it that Anastasia was able to escape. Although we are not certain of what really happened, Bluth and Goldman take advantage of the story and turn it into an epic adventure starring Meg Ryan and John Cusack.

2. Hoodwinked! (2005)

Okay, this one may be a bit cheesy, but cheesy films can still be enjoyable. And who doesn't love a good fairy tale with a spin on it? In this film, we get to see the story of Little Red Riding Hood told by four different characters: Red, Granny, Kirk the Woodsman, and Wolf W. Wolf. Between Anne Hathaway (Red) and Patrick Warburton (Wolf W. Wolf) it's worth watching at least once.

3. Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)

Although it is a DreamWorks film, Joseph: King of Dreams is lesser known. For the most part, the plot remains true to the biblical story that the film is based on. It is an excellent story about forgiveness and perseverance. And besides, who can pass up a film with a cast that includes Ben Affleck, Mark Hamill and Jodi Benson?

4. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002)

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the musical genius Hans Zimmer? Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron has one of the greatest yet most underrated soundtracks, in my personal opinion. Besides the music, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron is a visually beautiful film about a horse with a wild spirit despite man's attempts to tame him. Voiced by Matt Damon, Spirit the horse narrates his coming-of-age journey from freedom into captivity and after.

5. The Prince of Egypt (1998)

Another DreamWorks film based on a biblical story, The Prince of Egypt focuses on the story of Moses and his leadership and salvation of his people. The soundtrack is quite phenomenal, thanks once again to the brilliant composition of Hans Zimmer. Val Kilmer stars in this epic tale which also features Michelle Pfeiffer, Ralph Fiennes and Sandra Bullock.

6. The Quest For Camelot (1998)

Underrated, underappreciated and often unheard of, The Quest For Camelot is a quirky yet delightful film about the legendary sword, Excalibur. However, unlike most Camelot films, King Arthur is only a minor character in the film. The protagonist Kayley (Jessalyn Gilsig) teams up with a hermit named Garrett (Cary Elwes) and together they encounter a two-headed dragon (Eric Idle, Don Rickles) and battle the wicked antagonist Ruber (Gary Oldman) in order to save Camelot.

7. The Swan Princess (1994)

It is not difficult to guess which story--and ballet (hint hint)--The Swan Princess is based on. As children, Princess Odette and Prince Derek are forced together by their parents who hope to create a merger between their two kingdoms. Like most romance stories, at first the two loathe having to spend time together and loathe each other; however, once they are older, they fall in love. Of course no happy ending can last, and Derek must come up with a plan to save his cursed Princess. Meanwhile, Odette befriends a frog named Jean-Bob (voiced by John Cleese), a turtle named Speed and a puffin named...well, Puffin. With the help of her new friends, Odette must find a way back to Derek. And of course no animated romance is complete without a musical number or two.

8. Thumbelina (1994)

Another film by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, Thumbelina is the story of little Thumbelina (Jodi Benson) and her adventures after being kidnapped, lost and trying to find her way back home.

This is far from being a comprehensive list--there are many more films out there that deserve recognition. If I were to list them all, however, it would take all night. These are only a few of my favorites, many of which I grew up with. (Ah, childhood...) Which are some of your favorites?