7 Self Tanning Tips For The Pasty White Girl Who's Not Down To Damage Her Skin

"Go for the glow."

706
Unsplash via Thomas Salas

I'm naturally very fair skinned. Thankfully, I can tan. Unfortunately, it takes me an entire summer to reach my desired hue if I don't take matters into my own hands.

I've gone to tanning beds here-and-there and, while I appreciate the results, I've never been able to make peace with the risks. This year, I decided I would not be stepping back into a tanning bed because #skincancerisreal.

This decision means I'm either going to embrace my natural translucency or perfect my self-tanning game—the one that's already marked by trial and error...so much error.

For those of you who are also on this journey, here are 7 tips for avoiding the Cheeto-dusted look.

1. Use a mitt

This is your new best friend. Buy it. Use it. Love it.

2. Choose the lighter shade

It's so tempting to grab the bottle that promises a "deep bronze." However, there's a big difference between Snookie orange and a Kar-Jenner glow. Go for the glow.

3. Try a mousse

A mousse goes on lighter, smoother, and dries so much faster. I've tried all kinds. Jergens has been my favorite so far for price and quality combined. St. Tropaz is a good but pricier alternative.

4. Test a "hidden" spot first

This will clue you in on the shade, absorption, and how much to use to get the color you desire.

5. Moisturizing is key

This is a continual process, not something you do immediately before applying the tanning product (that ends in disaster). Just stay hydrated between applications. Otherwise, the tanning product will go on streaky. HEMPZ is a phenomenal moisturizer with no greasy residue, and this scent is the best.

6. Don't panic

You're going to have a bad application, either because you're new or because you're a total pro who rushes through your routine every-now-and-then. It's rarely as bad as you think, and crying only makes the streaks worse.

However...

7. When in doubt, leave it to the professionals

When it comes to big trips and events, sometimes, the peace of mind is worth the extra money.