7 Ways to Be Happier

7 Tips for a Happier Life

How can you have a happier life? Try these seven things!

172
7 Tips for a Happier Life

Are you struggling with life? Just can't seem to find a reason, yet not so depressed you'd actually think about seeking help. Maybe you just aren't finding the joy in those things that used to make you happy? Here are seven things that you can try to help put a hop back into your step:

1. Be Grateful

It helps to keep track of those things we are grateful for

M Slighte

Create a gratitude journal. Find something to be grateful for each day and write it down before you go to bed. It may not seem like it makes sense, to be grateful for something when you are still grumbly...but try it. The next time you make that green light or the bus just in time, say "thank you" to the Universe.

2. Smile

Smile...others will smile too!

c1.staticflickr.com

Think about an idea in the morning that puts a smile on your face. No one has to know what you're smiling about. Meet everyone with a smile. Some people will smile back, others may look at you like you're crazy...but chances are they will be smiling when they do it! Smiling is contagious, try it!

3.   Embrace Your Beliefs - Live Them

Whatever you believe...practice it

M Slighte

Everyone has things they believe in. Be it a religious or spiritual belief or a belief in the common good of humanity, those beliefs need to be acted upon for their greatest benefit. If you have a religious membership, incorporate those things that you do to maintain it into your schedule. If you believe in helping the homeless, make time in your day to do it. What you believe in is deeply personal, the activities you choose to represent those beliefs will be just as personal.

4.    Set Simple Goals & Reward Yourself When You Meet Them

Does your closet need some TLC...Mine sure does!

M Slighte

This isn't about the big things you've been wanting to do for years, these are small things, goals you can set and meet easily within a week. Maybe you've been wanting to clean out that closet and give those old clothes away? Set a goal and do it. Then reward yourself with a new top or maybe a special treat at the local bakery you've been wanting to try.

5.    Spend More Time with Your Friends

Our friends need us as much as we need them!

https://unsplash.com/photos/23KdVfc395A

The people you call your friends are your chosen family. They laugh and cry with you. Call them. Okay, maybe texting would be preferable. However you communicate with your friends, do more of it! Make a plan and get together every couple of weeks for coffee or something. They miss you.

6. Get A Dog -- or Two!

Even going to the beach is more fun with dogs!

M Slighte

Our canine companions make us happy in so many ways. They will greet you with a wagging tail when you leave even for a few minutes. One side-effect of exchanging looks with or petting a dog is a "happiness hormone," oxytocin, is released in both the dog and you!

7.   Walk Your Talk – Live Your Ideals

Participation in those activities that support our ideals is essential for a full life

M Slighte

Make the extra effort to do those things you talk about doing. If you believe that eating meat isn't the best choice, choose alternative protein sources. If you believe we should use less plastic, act on it, use fewer plastic items. Whatever your ideals are, put them into practice, you'll be all the happier for it.