7 Thoughts Every Retired High School Athlete Has

Opinions, advice, and lessons learned from playing sports throughout high school.

68
softmart

For the many who have endeavored the adventure and journey known as high school sports, "senior night" was the last time you've ever suited up and taken the field to play the sport you love. Many of you could agree that the four years of your eligibility to play high school sports will be some of the best years you'll ever experience. Below are some relatable thoughts that you athletes have had since you took your last bow.

1. You miss it. Sure, spending long off-seasons lifting and conditioning in the extreme heat or cold, the dreaded long, late nights spent coming back home on the bus from a distant away game; attempting to balance your schoolwork with your competition, and even the fact of having to plan your life around your practice and game schedule presented a challenging and, in some cases, strenuous life. Now that it's all over, though, the hitting in a batting cage while it's snowing doesn't seem so bad. The busyness you dealt with is only a minor inconvenience compared to the great times that came with it. These are times and adventures we wish we had back.

2. You happily take any opportunity to relive our "glory days" through intramural or church leagues. Intramural sports? You bet we're there. We'll be one of the most competitive playing, too, regardless of the fact that no serious trophy or prize is received in the end. We're just there to get on the field or court again, attempting to "relive" the glory days we use experience.

3. To the person that is wearing my uniform and number: Represent it well. That number you're wearing is a cherished possession. When you put it on, play with all your heart and treat it with respect. You not only represent yourself when you are in the game, but you represent something that was dear to someone else before.

4. Watching sports as "just a fan pastime" can never happen. It's not possible. Many times, you catch yourself analyzing what's going on in the game. You tend to produce a play-by-play of your own. You often find yourself becoming an additional coach for the team, strategizing and constructing what you actually think the best plan is for for the team.

5. Some of the relationships that you create with your "family" of teammates are ones that will last with you for a lifetime. These people are your brothers/sisters. You spend the whole fall, winter, and/or spring with these people. You and your teammates are together, doing everything together for long periods of time each day. Not to mention, you all are working towards achieving the same goal -- a state championship.

6. Being able to wear the name of your school on your chest and represent it every game will be one of the best privileges I'll ever receive. Honestly, this couldn't be more true. Every time you take the field or court, you represent your school through your playing as well as conduct. One of the best feelings ever is being able to show off your school and why you think it is so great. You're out there to make your school known to the people you compete against.

7. The life lessons that you obtained and learned in the years of your participation will be ones that will stick with you for a lifetime. It's the lessons such as learning the big idea of committing to something and working at it with your all to something so little as thanking a fast-food worker who doesn't have the first idea who are in the first place for their service. It's making sure you leave the restaurant cleaner than you found it. It's showing respect in everything you do. These kinds of life lessons are ones that have stuck with me and most likely have for you, the reader, if you played high school sports.

Playing high school sports truly is a special privilege. The experiences you receive are truly dear and special, leaving you to hope that the people that follow you get to have the same experience.