7 Things To Do When You Have Too Much Free Time

I know it's easy to get stuck to our phones but there's more options than that!

18526

With my current predicament, I have lots of time on my hands and originally had no idea how to use it. First, I know I have to prioritize regaining my health and it’s all fine and dandy simply resting one’s body but I found myself yearning to be a bit more proactive.

I’m a doer. I feed off constant busyness, because it fuels my productivity and it also helps with forming good time management skills. At times it may feel overbearing, however, knowing I can accomplish a lot and not just stay stagnant and wallow elicits a sense of pride.

So maybe missing school too much, I researched and planned how I was gonna spend my “gap months” before returning next semester.

If you’re in a similar situation like me stuck in a sort of limbo land or just have a lot of time in your hands and don’t know how to use it, these seven ideas are just for you.

1. Learn About Your Passions

Maybe it was just me missing the idea of school, but I looked up taking classes so I could still learn while I wasn’t on campus. I came across the site Coursera which offers free online classes (unless you wanted a certificate of completion which costed money) from legitimate universities globally teaching about anything and everything. I decided to enroll in four classes so I can imagine myself going to school. The classes I chose either were to learn about my passions more in depth or that I felt useful and interesting to myself. This semester, I’m taking Modern and Contemporary American Poetry, HTML, CSS and Javascript for Web Developers, Intro to Personal Branding and The Kennedy Century. I loved writing in my planner my new homework and task I had for my classes. So far it’s been great! You don’t have to take an actual class like me but just researching more on your interest can lead you to new, great experiences!

2. Try Something New

I won’t lie to you; I’m on my phone a lot. One app I use quite often is Pinterest and I love adding pins to my various boards whether it be for my future wedding or places. I hope to one day travel. With all the time I have, I decided that I’ll actually try out recipes from my “foods I want to try” board. For breakfast this morning, I tried an overnight no cook oatmeal recipe. I followed the directions and tried out my creation and was honestly impressed. Maybe food tastes better when you prepare it yourself but now I’m excited to try more recipes! You don’t have to try something drastically new to spur a change in your life. Even simple things like trying a new recipe or maybe a new hairstyle or making your bed. Just spice up your regular routine!

3. Do that one thing you always put on the back burner

Every summer, I create a list of fun reading list I hope to get through since I never have time to do so during the school year. Usually, I only cross of one or two of the list and I never get a chance to read the other ones due to summer activities and I get disappointed about the whole ordeal. Now because I have the time, I’ve borrowed the books and ready to start reading! It helps if you put these things that you put on the back burner in your planner or notes to constantly remind you of their presence. Seeing it as task will motivate you to make time for it but the activity itself will be joyous. You’ll be happy you made time for it!.

4. Listen to new music

I’m a lover of music and I can appreciate most kinds of genres but I obviously have my preferences. I catch myself singing the same songs over and over whether during shower concerts or washing the dishes. Concerts are also some of my most favorite things in the world. The ambiance they have make you feel so alive. When I saw that Ben Rector was coming to Minnesota next month, I thought to myself that would be a nice chill concert but I’d have to brush up on his music. So I did. His amazing newest album “Brand New” was the only thing I listened to days on end. I have this weird obsession of listening (and then getting to know) an entire albums before concerts. If you need some new music check Ben out, one of my personal favorites is “Favorite Song” or “Paris if you’re feeling extra lovey dovey". Now I can’t wait to hear the music live! With the power of the internet, you have so much access to find new artist to love and new songs to be “your jam”. Listening to pre-created playlist are also great to hear material you haven’t heard yet! Don’t be afraid to broaden your horizons and start “brand new”.

5. Volunteer

Martin Luther King Jr. once said “Everyone can be great. Because anyone can serve.” In any location, there’s so much volunteer opportunities open and all different kinds too. You just have to find one that you’re comfortable doing. The possibilities are endless. If you’re not ready to be as engaged into the volunteering experience, you can always donate to causes that mean a lot to you. I personally know I feel so much joy helping out others whether how small or big the task. It’s definitely an eye opening and heartwarming experience you should take advantage of.

6. Listen to a recommendation

I bet you have family and friends who’ve asked you, “Have you seen this movie/tv show?” or “Have you tried out so and so food” or just subtlety recommended or suggested you try something. Why not take that recommendation or suggestion? My sister is a big movie buff and I remember her telling me to checkout the movie “16 Candles”. I watched it one night with my mama and I absolutely loved it. It made me nostalgic for high school and it was so relatable. Your family and friends have some great ideas; they’ll definitely help you brainstorm some awesome things for you to keep busy!

7. Call your family and friends

We all have busy lives but sometimes hearing the voices of the people we care about can bring some peace into our day. One of my favorite things as of late is talking to my sister on the phone asking each other how are days are and what we’ve been up to. Our conversations just flow from subject to subject and it’s really nice just keeping up the connection even with miles between us. I also FaceTimed with my roommate last night and she passed the video to others from our dorm and it just brightened my day seeing my friends and chatting with them. By talking to them and seeing them, distance is just an irrelevant number. Call up your loved ones; they’d love to hear you too. They’re only one call away.