Valentine's Day is essentially a day that is designed just for happy couples, and let's be honest, that's only like half the world. So as the happy singles, it is our responsibility to actually turn this frown of a day upside-down! Sometimes it can be pretty difficult to ignore all of your friends that are in happy, sappy relationships, but on V-Day, it is extra important to forget about them and focus on your fun, free self. Thankfully, Valentine's Day is only a 24-hour, Hallmark holiday. It comes and goes pretty quickly, and can be easily ignored by doing a fun activity, like one of the following.
1. Don't mope. Moping is probably the worst thing you could do on Valentine's Day because it is just a downward spiral of sadness.
2. Work. Now this sounds a bit lame, however it can be very beneficial. Odds are you have a coworker who wants to be spending the day with their other half, offering to work instead of them could earn you an "IOU" for when you need your shift covered. Also, if you work in retail, a lot of people will be buying last minute gifts, and if you work in the food industry, a lot of people will be eating out. This means more commission or more tips, and more money for you in the long run.
3. Have a "Galentine's Day" brunch with your girl pals (or your guy pals if you're a dude). This is a super fun way to avoid thinking about being single and alone on this day. Cook with your friends and then chat the rest of the day away.
4. Have dinner with your best guy (or girl) friend! It gives the illusion of a date, with all the fun dressing up and going out, with the chill factor of not trying to impress anyone. This can be even more fun if you pretend to be a really weird couple to freak all the other couples out.
5. Go to a museum. This is just a fun thing to do on any day, but in Valentine's Day it can help keep your mind off things while you observe all the art or history.
6. This also applies for the movies. Seeing a movie is a great way to live in a completely different world for a couple hours. It will help you forget about all the disgusting romance going on in the real world. And if you don't want to spend money on movie tickets and snacks, you can have a marathon at home! I definitely recommend watching a bunch of really bad rom-coms so that you can mock them.
7. If you're over 21, you can go bar hopping with a scavenger hunt theme. Create a list of silly and entertaining things to do before you head out and see how many you can complete. For example, name a couple's future baby (the earlier in the relationship the better), ask a stranger to be your Maid of Honor or Best Man and start planning your fake wedding immediately, etc.
You're single on the most made-up holiday of the year, so don't sweat it and try to have some fun!