7 Things I've Learned From A Long Distance Friendship

Shown By Abbi and Ilana, Broad City

28
Giselle Sancen

Whether you're leaving to college or moving across the country with your family, leaving your best friends is never easy. Yes, you'll make more friends and yes, you'll keep in touch but nothing and nobody will ever take the place of your special person. Here are 7 things I've learned from my long distance friendship.

1. When you get the news that you're going to have to leave each others side for longer than a 48 hour period, the amount of emotions that hit you may vary. You'll be mad that they're actually leaving, sad that they wont be a short drive away and scared that you might lose touch and drift away. You now have to accept the fact that there's nothing you can do about it and say goodbye.

2.You never realize how small your friend group is until you and your best friend are separated. I was blinded by our friendship but when it came time to move on without her, I was lost and alone and my eyes were finally opened to seeing just how obsessed with each other we had become.

3. You will get caught up with your own life and your own problems you for a split second forget that they have problems of their own. Vent sessions are harder and you are in a constant state of loneliness, you aren't always aware that they feel the same way. It's a constant struggle between sharing all your problems and not wanting to overwhelm them with things they don't really care about.

4. You will find any and every reason to show your love for each other on social media. I'm talking throwback on throwbacks. Your followers will get annoyed but who cares, your bestie needs to feel the love 24/7.

5.You will no longer be able to see each other every day, which means it will be harder to hype each other up. Lets be real, you are each others biggest fans and now you have to go to great lengths to share your love. Your camera roll will become a home for screenshots of your weekly face time calls, the funny Snapchats and all the incredibly cute texts you will send each other. It will literally feel like your dating and in a long distance relationship.

6. It sucks when something incredible happens to you and you have to wait for an appropriate time to call them, you wish you could go to lunch and dish about everything or grab some coffee and talk about your crazy week, heck you'd even be happy to lay in bed with them and eat ice cream while whining about how much your life sucks. But you no longer have that luxury, so you settle for sending them a three page text explaining how much you miss them and all the things you're stressing out about. You know fully well that no matter how boring or redundant you are, they will make you feel better.

7. At the end of the day, life goes on. You'll be fine, you'll make new friends and there's no way you'll forget your old ones. When it's all said an done, a long distance friendship makes you appreciate the connection you have with the people that matter the most. When it is time for you to see each other again, and I pray that for you it's also sooner rather than later. it'll be the best feeling in the world. Imagine Christmas and New Years and both of your birthdays put together. EPIC.