7 Signs You Grew Up In Keller

7 Signs You Grew Up In Keller

K-Town represent!

396
7 Signs You Grew Up In Keller
Google

Right outside of Fort Worth is a little town we have grown to know called Keller. It has evolved rapidly in the past 20 years from being a small town to an emerging suburb. After living here for just about my whole life, I have learned a lot about what defines Keller from other cities. Moving to college was almost a wake-up call because I found it strange others didn't have the same traditions as we did. Those of us who bestow out Keller pride outside of the city limits know what it means to call Keller home. To those who have lived here for one year or 20, here are some signs you call Keller home.

1. The high school rivalry was real.

Whether it was Central vs. Keller or Fossil vs. Timber, your school always represented. While most of this was all in good fun, it got serious on the day of the pink out game. Tension built and names were called as schools put their trust into their football team in hopes they would be called the winning school at the end of the games. Even though schools were mostly equally as good in sports, we still hopes our team would outshine the others. In the end, however, we were all able to unite for a good cause and call each other friendly rivals.

2. You went to Whataburger after 10:00 p.m. to hang out.

Being just about the only place open 24 hours within 20 miles, teens find themselves flocking to good food and a solid place to hang out. If you have ever tried to get Whataburger after a football game, you were in for a rude awakening when most of the time they would hit max capacity. Even if you were brave enough to try and get food one of this night, you most likely ended up waiting for an hour with the wrong food anyways. Also, there may or may not have been illegal activity going on when people least expected it. But, that's usually a whole other story.

3. "Southlake" has a whole different meaning than just a city.

From childhood, you probably were fascinated with Southlake Town Square. From first dates to birthdays, you spent a lot of time in this outdoor shopping mall. As you got older, you probably realized that it's no more than expensive stores and a preteen hangout. However, as you make the occasional trip, you can't help but reminisce on the good days when you and 50 of your closest friends came to watch a movie at Harkins and try on countless clothes at Delias.

4. Tiki Hut is the best on a summer day.

Locally owned, Tiki Hut has become one of Keller's treasures. People from all over the metroplex to eat a perfectly shaved snow cone. They get the perfect syrup/ice ratio, which made it perfect for the 107 degrees heat that we get. You've probably tried other snow cone places, but they just can't beat the joy you get from ordering a Tiki Hut snow cone.

5. Our school spirit is hard to beat.

No matter what school you went to, from Keller to Fossil to Timber to Central your school radiated spirit. It didn't matter what we were excelling in, but we were all proud to show off our school colors. Even if we lost every single game in sports, bleachers stayed full far and wide. Whenever our school made playoffs in any sport or team, almost every student felt a sense of pride for their school. Encouragements were shared all over, from HOSA to football, when succeeded as a nation which was a feeling unlike any other.

6. Homecoming is unlike any other high school tradition.

For some reason, Keller didn't like to play by the rules when it came to homecoming. Like any other southern state, we had homecoming mums. No one really knows why we hang these massive flowers and ribbons around our necks, but we just do it with no questions asked. Also, they had to be as big as possible. Some had them just big enough to take up an entire table when laid out. Keller was also strange in that it was not likely you went to the homecoming dance. This was usually reserved for those who found it as a good opportunity to hang out at school or you were nominated in the Homecoming court (which was announced at the football game!). However, I did receive word that Keller's homecoming dance has been more socially acceptable to go to than its past years. Which is great for those upcoming, but disappointing for those who missed out on this opportunity in the past.

7. Senior pranks are a thing of the past.

Before 2012, senior pranks were a commonly cherished tradition each class had during the final days before graduation. Some of these were harmless while others were outright crazy. After high schools took it to a new level by bringing live animals or creating a downright brawl in the locker banks, Keller decided to ban all senior prank activities. Instead, all high school students get a huge increase of security during the last month and a ban of any backpacks during finals. While there have been many attempts to try and get around the system, they have ultimately failed. However, we all have hope that one day there just might be a class brave enough to pull off an epic (harmless) senior prank. Until that day, we reminisce on what once was.

Moving away from Keller was a tough transition. However, coming home for breaks and weekends is always comforting, because these small suburbs has become home. Our Indian, Falcon, Chargers and Panther nations will always be a family for so many. We will stand for our traditions and values as a family and let no one fall behind us. Even if you have long moved away from Keller, you still may think of it and a twinge of sadness. However, just know that whenever you are missing this place called Keller; it is always willing to welcome you back home.