7 Shows MTV Seriously Needs To Bring Back

Disney throwbacks are great, but MTV's might be better.

29

Since the announcement of the throwback Disney special, the kids of the 90's and early 2000's have been breaking back out their gauchos and sparkly Limited Too belts in preparation of the nostalgia to come. However, what these kids are forgetting is there was so much more to look forward to when pressing the power button to our bulky-backed televisions. I say let's trade our sparkly belts for our chocker necklaces and demand throwback MTV.

Many may argue that MTV has not lost any of its strength as a station with "Catfish," "Awkward" and "Girlcode," but they just don’t remember what they’re settling for. Let me remind you:

1. "Made"

What was it: a hopeful teen called in to MTV to take them from their known high school label to something entirely knew. Soccer players made into cheerleaders, outcast made into prom dates, the list goes on and on. Lucky for them, these youths were not alone. If you want to be Miss Athens County, they paired you with Miss America; if you want to make the football team, they make a call to Brett Farve to be your intense but loving coach.

Why bring it back: There’s nothing more inspiring than watching someone transform into what they’ve always wanted to be. Succeed or fail, it's always entertaining for someone to be "Made."

2. "Next"

What was it: Five men or women get on a bus where they are taken to a location to meet one person looking for a date. One by one, they get off the bus and meet with the potential new boyfriend or girlfriend. If the date at any point doesn’t like what they see or hear from the person who got off the bus, they can yell “next,” which leads to them returning to the bus and bringing off the next suitor. As an extra bonus for however many minutes they last on the date they get that much in cash.

Why bring it back: The humor of the instant "next" as they accept their one dollar prize is priceless and worth the watch alone.

3. "My Super Sweet 16"

What was it: A show were we could watch spoiled teens throw the craziest dream parties that always started with a grand entrance, add in some famous musician and of course, always end with the birthday prince or princess in a brand new car.

Why bring it back: I may be in my 20's now, but I think we all should still have the hope of being invited to a super sweet 16.

4. "The Hills"

What was it: a spin off of "Laguna Beach," this reality show followed Lauren Conrad as she took on the real world.

Why bring it back: LC, Brody, Spidey to name a few.

5. "Pimp My Ride"

What was it: Host Xzibit and his team would take the country's worst cars and turn them into a party on wheels.

Why bring it back: we all know we can barely afford to take in our junkers to get the check engine light looked at that has been on for four years, let alone turn it into the car of our dreams. Xzibit, help the college kids out! Fix our cars, please.

6. "Parental Control"

What was it: Parents who disagree with who their son or daughter is dating interview a group of men, and each select one to take their daughter on a date, while the current boyfriend or girlfriend watches with the parents. After the two dates, the child has to decide whether he/she wants to stay with their current partner or chose one of the new people their parents picked for them.

Why bring it back: while most people would never trust their parents to pick out their next romantic partner, it's always interesting to see that sometimes Momma (or Daddy) knows best.

7. "Cribs"

What was it: A variety of celebrities opened their doors to MTV and gave a personal self-narrated tour of their home, cars and always their fridges; a not-so-subtle way to say, "Hey, you picked the wrong career," to viewers across the nation.

Why bring it back: I don’t know about you, but I still answer the door by saying, "Hi, MTV, welcome to my crib," and the thought that someday generations will not know what I’m talking about is heartbreaking enough to re-air some episodes.