7 Perks of Being 23 an Single

7 Perks of Being 23 an Single

All the women who are independent, throw your hands up at me!

176
7 Perks of Being 23 an Single
Olivia Beck

There’s a meme I’ve seen that says, “When I was young I wanted to be married by 23. Let’s all laugh together.” Never have I ever seen a more accurate representation of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s fantastic that several of my closest friends have been in serious relationships and/or married at 23! However, until I get off the single train that I’ve been riding approximately the last 23 years, I’ll be taking major advantage of my bachelorette situation and enjoying my glasses of wine.

1. You make the best +1.

Wedding season is upon us and it has taken off by storm. If you need to fill the void of taking a date, take a look in the mirror! With your group of friends going as well, you’ll have a blast screaming the lyrics to “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” and dancing to the “Cupid Shuffle.” You are the best dancer and singer you know (well, outside the car may be a different perspective).

2. Sweatpants, hair tied, chillin’ with no makeup on.

Drake hit the nail on the head with this lyric. Joan Rivers is probably rolling in her grave as I write this, but this is my wardrobe on a daily basis. My fashion sense doesn’t extend past comfort; the only tough decision I have to make is which pair of sweats from my five I want to wear for the day. “Effortless” is at its finest.

3. You’re not judged for binge-watching random things on Netflix.

The literal meaning of “Netflix and chill” is in full force in the post-graduation and single lifestyle. While I have my Ben & Jerry's in my hand, my broad queue ranges from re-watching One Tree Hill and Gilmore girls to catching up on How to Get Away with Murder and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to starting Stranger Things and yet another ESPN 30 for 30 documentary. Sorry, not sorry about my wide variety of shows.

4. Being as loud as you want during games.

October is the best month for sports — postseason baseball begins, football is underway, and the anticipation for the puck to drop in hockey builds. I’ve got the 61” big screen to myself to put the multi-view on and enjoy. If I think an umpire or referee has blown a call, I can yell at him all I want (apparently I hope one day they’ll hear me through the TV…) Unless my folks are home, no mute button or censorship can control what comes out of my mouth. Again, sorry not sorry.

5. You control the atmosphere in the car.

The favorite stations are set and mixed CD’s are intact. Rolling the windows down and singing to the radio allow me to think I can be on The Voice. The drivers of the surrounding cars in the next couple of lanes may not think so, but at least I only have to worry about deafening my own ears and embarrassing myself (which actually happens more often than I care to admit…)

6. You learn to be patient.

Tom Petty sang it best that “you take it on faith, you take it to the heart. The waiting is the hardest part.” There’s this need to have the things we ask for right here and right now. Unfortunately, the real world doesn’t hand them to us on a silver platter. It really is true that “the waiting is the hardest part.” However, you get to understand yourself better in the meantime. As you mature, that patience feeds into what you expect in your values for the future. It sucks in the beginning and during, but it will pay off in the end.

7. Independence is pretty decent.

Traveling to different places that I have never been previously is an absolute blast; visiting friends in those cities/towns makes it incredibly worthwhile. I’m learning how to enjoy things by myself and participate in the activities that I love. I’m also learning how to make myself meals that are not the basic mac-n’-cheese microwavable cups — they may not be Food Channel worthy, but it’s a step up from the super cheap college “dinners.” I’m learning how to take care of myself financially (well, not everything considering that I still live at home — love you, Mom and Dad.) I can kick my feet up on the couch and relax after a hard day’s work. Becoming independent can be an anxious process, but becoming stronger and more confident in yourself is well worth it in the long run.