7 Fun Things to Do Outside Or Around Rowan's Campus

If you're looking for something new, here's your lucky day.

1949
Maqsum

If you are attending or about to attend the wonderful university of Rowan and you're not a native to the area (just like me), you might find it hard to find fun things in the area to do. Outside of your time spent in classes, hanging around in dorms, apartments, or friends houses, what else is there to do in Glassboro and the surrounding area? Whether or not you have a car on campus or know someone who does (which would be helpful) here are some fun things to do at Rowan and/or around the area.

1. Go to High Elevations in Sewell

High Elevations is pretty much a giant room filled with trampolines. On a Saturday afternoon, grab a bunch of friends and literally act like your 5-years old again, jumping around on mini trampolines. It is honestly so much fun, (and also gives you exercise). At High Elevations, they not only have a huge room with trampolines, but they have a basketball area where you can jump on the trampoline and slam dunk, which I've come to notice is quite the competition for the guys.

2. Visit Philadelphia, South Street

Rowan offers a shuttle bus to Philly on the weekends that is free for Rowan students with a valid ID. The bus picks you up by the Student Center at 8, drops you off at South Street in Philadelphia, and comes back at 10pm and 12 a.m. to pick you up. Going anywhere in Philadelphia is fun, but South Street has restaurants, bars, and a boardwalk strip with a waterfront view. If you're looking for a night out with friends it's a great place to go, and for this,you don't need a car, (and you don't need much money either).

3. Go to sports games

This might seem blatantly obvious, but honestly, it's true: football games with friends can be a lot of fun. It's showing support for our university's sports teams and players. It's a nostalgic kind of activity, that reminds me of high school in the best way. Seeing our team make a goal, or score a point is such a great feeling, and of course, it's free!

4. Take a look at the art showings in Westby

This is something I found out about recently, but find really interesting — our own little, free art gallery. It features art from Rowan students that changes every so often and showcases beautiful paintings. The fact that Rowan showcase's our own peer's art is not only empowering to the artists who created them, but (selfishly) it gives me something fun to do in between classes, after lunch, or anytime really.

5. Take a walk at Washington Lake Park

After a long day, sometimes I like to take a walk, or sit on the benches and read at Washington Lake Park. It's about 10 to 15 minutes away from campus. Why is it so great? It's huge, it has soccer nets, a nature walk, a lake, and it just plain gets you away from the hectic-ness of life. It's also nice for dates, or for a picnic lunch with friends.

6. See a movie at Regal Cinemas Cross Keys 12

Although I do love my Netflix, sometimes I like to actually go to the movies. The theater is not far from Rowan's campus at all. Especially if there is a movie coming out I really want to see in theaters. It's fun to go and see a movie with a date, or with a friend, and gives you something to do if you're sick of going out, or sick of sitting in your house.

7. Shop at the Deptford Mall

The Deptford Mall is about 15 minutes from campus and has many different stores to shop in. By the Deptford Mall is also an Outback and Applebee's. Taking a break from studying, or having something to do on a rainy Sunday (other than all that homework you know you're avoiding) make the mall a great place to go. Because really, what is better than retail therapy?

As a college student I used to find myself going stir crazy trying to think of things to do around campus until I completely ran out of ideas. To save you from this boredom, and/or give you something to do with a date, or homework to avoid here are some things you should check out around the college campus. After all that studying you do, you deserve a little break from it all.