7 Creative Ways to Better Your Long-Distance Relationship

Finding creative ways to stay in touch and connected to your significant other who's far away is super important!

714
Stock Snap

1. Give each other unexpected phone calls.

If you know both of you aren’t up to anything, a surprise phone call might be what you both needed to start off a great conversation and show each other a ton of love! It may seem like a small gesture, but it’s often the little things that count.

2. Fall asleep together (on the phone).

I recently started doing this with my boyfriend, and it’s been incredible. While I know this might not work for everyone, if you’re both able to sync your schedules and give it a try – you’ll see how great it is. Even if you’re not going to sleep yet, it’ll be a special way of connecting with your SO who’s far away.

3. Watch a movie together.

I got this brilliant idea from none other than Gossip Girl’s Blair Waldorf when she called Dan and they each watched Rosemary’s Baby on their computer while discussing the movie on the phone. Seriously, it could be awesome! You can each watch something at the same time and maybe even have each other on the phone as you talk about it. Grab a snack, cozy up and think of it as a sort of Netflix and chill for long-distance relationships.

4. Take each other places.

Although most of us do phone calls on-the-go, we don’t always think of FaceTime as something to do on-the-go with our significant others. But just think about how fun “taking” each other places can be whenever you both have the time. If it’s a beautiful day out you can share it with your lover by FaceTiming them while you take a seat somewhere nice and enjoy it together!

5. Have one part of your daily activities or your daily routine be the same.

Basically, come up with something you can both do on your own time and then talk about it. Maybe read a book together, and discuss chapters every day. My boyfriend and I have a strong religious background that is an important part of our relationship, and we do daily devotionals that we then discuss together. Whether it be a book, an exercise routine, or even something religious – having something that you both can do on your own time that you can talk about and discuss later is a great idea.

6. Mail things to each other.

This may sound cheesy and out of fashion, but seriously. It can be anything. Send a care package, a handwritten letter, or a souvenir from somewhere nice you visited. Gifts don’t always have to deliver in person to be special, and mailing is unique in that it’s not something we tend to do that much even in long-distance relationships. This makes it extra romantic, especially if one of you isn’t expecting it!

7. Let each other know that there are things constantly reminding you about one another.

This may seem obvious, but seriously. If you’re in a relationship you’ll know how sometimes literally anything or even something insignificant will remind you of the person you love. We don’t always think about sharing this with our significant other. But you definitely should! If it’s a song, a quote, or even something you’ve seen, let them know it reminded you of them and the love you feel for them. If it’s something you saw, send a pic! If it’s a quote, a video, or a song send a link.