7 "Cliché" Life Lessons That Are "Cliché" For Good Reason

That stuff your parents taught you way back when, that you should live by.

1638

I often wonder at what point in time do people forget the rules they were taught as children. You know, the typical idioms and proverbs parents use to teach their children about good behavior.

Well, although they are cliché, they are great lessons to live your life by and many people do not follow them, or forget to follow them after a certain point. There is so much hate and negativity in this world, and most of it is because of thoughtlessness and insensitivity, but you can be a small part in a chain reaction that makes this world a better place to live.

There are thousands of lessons we can learn from. They are not perfect and many have flaws and exceptions, just like us, but here are my top 7 cliché life lessons that everyone should always try to follow:

1. "Treat others the way that you want to be treated."

This is one of the easiest yet most difficult ones to follow, known as the Golden Rule. In theory, it should be simple to know how to treat others. Yet, it is not easy to see a situation through another perspective. Try to take the time to stop, breathe, evaluate, and then act.

2. "When live gives you lemons, make lemonade."

It is important to try to make the most out of any situation. Life will constantly throw challenges and obstacles your way. It will not be easy and it will not always be fair. Be optimistic and make every sour lemon into some sweet lemonade.

3. "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all."

So often, the human race is very judgmental. Most of the time, thoughts come to your mind based on first impressions. But ignore them. Do not judge. Do not make assumptions. Keep those thoughts to yourself. We are all people with feelings and they deserve to be respected.

4. "Money can't buy happiness"

Money is the root of almost everything, except happiness. Show people you care about them with your words and by your actions, not by the amount of money in your pocket. Ask your friend how their day was and truly listen. Tell your child you are proud of them and really mean it. Do something special for your significant other, nothing fancy or expensive, just sentimental. Money will never compare to making someone feel like they matter to you.

5. "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched"

You truly never know what the future holds. Even if you think an event will work out a certain way, it may not. And you cannot rely on what you think will happen to make other decisions. That is not to say you cannot be hopeful and positive, because you can be and you should. Just live your life day by day instead of constantly living in anticipation.

6. "Beggars can't be choosers"

If you are in need and someone offers you help, graciously accept whatever you are given. Do not be picky, do not complain. Just be grateful.

7. "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Stop wishing the world was a better place. Do your part and make it one. Compliment a stranger. Hold the door open for the next person. Pay for the person behind you in the Dunkin Donut's Drive-Thru. No matter how big or small the gesture is, one act of kindness will lead to a million acts.