6 Ways To Feel Better When You Miss Your Partner Oh-So Much

Missing your significant other is a painful feeling but there are ways to help

2
Photo by Alex Iby on Unsplash

I have been in a long-distance relationship for six months. It has been the hardest and greatest thing I can experience. Our love for each other is strong and missing each other is something that is felt daily. There are nights where I cannot sleep and days where I find myself against a wall, crying due to the aching in my chest for my boyfriend. Long-distance relationships are hard, that's a fact, but it builds a strong bond between two people and the moments together are treasured. I have some tips and tricks for when you're really missing that one person.

A playlist

If anything has helped my need to see my boyfriend it would be our playlist. We started compiling songs that reminded us of each other soon after we started dating. From cheesy love songs to R&B, it has really helped the both of us fall asleep. A playlist can be tailored to the two of you and the experience you have been through. Music is something that can touch the soul when nothing else seems to work. It has helped me so much and I know it will help you as well.

Talk to your partner about it

If you haven't, express how you feel to your partner and let all of the emotions out. Not telling your partner about your negative feelings and the longing you have can make things worse and really hurt not only the relationship, but your own mental health. Even if talking to your partner does not fix the situation, it can really help you feel better and maybe your partner has something to help you cope with the temporary situation.

Understand that it is only temporary

When I get into really sad moods and I think about my relationship, I tend to think that we will never be together in person and that waiting takes too long. Things this way is super harmful for your mental stability in the relationship and it causes you to miss the person more. No matter how much you want to run towards that person and finally see them, understand that the separation is for now and you will see each other. Good things come to those who wait.

Hang out with friends and family

It is a bit difficult to hang out with people during the pandemic but even hanging out with family around you can help ease the pain of missing that one person. Sitting alone in your room all the time can really make those feelings worse so get up, do something. Watch movies or cook something with a sibling or friend and enjoy the moment. Feel the happiness in those times and really allow yourself to express feelings of gratitude for those around you.

Meditate

Meditation is the most universal mental exercise that anyone can do. Not only does it help you maintain happiness and a feeling of peace, but meditation is a super healthy tool in the long-run. it encourages focus, mindfulness, and better sleeping habits. Meditation is also free and it is flexible to fit in any schedule. Only a few minutes in the morning and/or night can dramatically impact how you feel. YouTube has a ton of information and guided meditations to start with and there are hundreds of apps for on-the-go mental exercises.

Gratitude chat 

Everyday ask your partner three questions to practice gratitude for each other and daily life. It can be three funny things like jokes, stories and situations or just by asking your significant other what they are thankful for that day. It creates a strengthening bond and gratitude for little things goes a long way. It allows yourself to step back from the craziness of the day and think about the good things that surround you.

Long-distance relationships are not easy and most fail. But with some help like the tips above, your relationship can last and you both will feel strong and secure despite the times you are apart. Stay strong and I hope you close the distance soon.