6 Things You Should Do When Having A Really Bad Day

Don't hide under the covers just yet!

22

Ugh. You know those days when nothing goes right—your alarm doesn't go off (you did the am./pm switch!) or you totally bomb a test even though you studied a ton (maybe it wasn't really a ton, but you did stay up into the wee hours of the morning cramming the night before). All you want to do is A) Cry under your duvet, B) Drink wine while watching reruns of RuPaul's Drag Race or C) get in your car and drive as far away as you can and never come back. Well, don't do any of those things. Do these things instead!

1. Accept That Today Is Just A Bad Day

So today wasn't the best. There's another day tomorrow and another the next day and so on. It's just one out of thousands you're going to live, so try not to let it feel like the whole world is collapsing because your boss yelled at you for being late. There will be other shifts, other bosses (hopefully better ones) and better days.

2. Write About It

What works for me when I have a terrible day is writing, and not just on Odyssey. I have a private Wordpress blog where I write trash poetry, fiction and personal essays that I don't want anyone else to ever read. Even if writing isn't your thing, you could try bullet journaling or look into another creative hobby that will help you express what's going on inside.

3. Spend Time With Friends and Family

It's not revolutionary, but spending time with your friends and family can really help you get your groove back after a truly terrible day. Even if it's just a phone call, being able to talk to someone you know well can help you feel like you're not alone.

4. Work Out

Getting your pent-up anxiety/anger/sadness/whatever it is you're feeling out through physical activity can also help put a little distance between you and what upset you. Find a form of exercise that you like (yes, walking counts!) and use that to get the negativity out of your system.

5. Sing Along to Your Favorite Song

Sometimes you need to sing it out. Taking a relaxing shower or bath is a great place to listen to a song that you love and belt it at the top of your lungs. Disclaimer: I realize that "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter is probably not your favorite song. It's so appropriate, though.

6. Log Out of Social Media

It doesn't have to be forever, but taking a few steps away from the fast-paced social landscape to focus on what's real and right in front of you can be peaceful. Who knows—you might like it so much you make it permanent.