6 Things You Can Do To Relax Your Mind

6 Things You Can Do To Relax Your Mind During These Unrelaxing Times

While we can still continue to educate ourselves on what is happening in the world, it is also important we take the time to take care of our mental health.

186

The world has basically turned upside down in a matter of months. I don't know about you, but my mind cannot take it. As somebody who has struggled with my mental health throughout my entire life, I know that relaxing your mind is certainly easier said than done, but I also know that these methods can be extremely effective. While it is crucial that we continue to educate ourselves and take action during these times, it is also important that we protect our mental health, and here's how I recommend you do so.

1. Take 5 deep breaths

As cliche as it sounds, this exercise is number one for a reason. In the past, I have been told to take three deep breaths and found that it was not enough. Now, when I find my mind racing and feel incapable of calming down, I immediately turn to this strategy. Taking five deep breaths has a way of recentering you and forces your brain to calm down.

2. Turn off the news

As I said before, it is extremely important to continue to educate ourselves on what is going on in the world right now. That being said, we do not need to be doing so every second of every day to the point where it is unhealthy and overloading our brains. In fact, I've found that focusing on the news all day every day has actually begun to harm my mental health, and I'm sure that I am not alone on this one. So, turn off the news for a bit and let your mind rest and not hyperfocus on the news for a few hours.

3. Draw or doodle

I am as unartistic as they come, but there's something about bringing pen to paper, or marker to paper, that is so relaxing. You don't need to become the next Picasso but consider drawing your name in bubble letters, or if you want to get real fancy you can even draw your whole family as stick figures. This time doodling is a near guarantee to relax your mind — it's therapeutic.

4. Go outside

It has become WAY too easy to not go outside these days — you know, with the quarantine and all. I'm here to tell you to go outside. Staying inside will make your mind feel trapped, and you will be pleasantly surprised what just a little time outside can do for your mental health.

5. Move your body

Again, it has become way too easy to just sit around all day and not move our bodies, but just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Moving your body will do wonders for your mind, and I have actually found it to be the best way for me to help my mental health. Go on a walk, take an exercise class, or even get creative and make up your own workout routine, and I promise you your mind will thank you.

6. Call somebody who makes you happy

This is an easy one, and super effective too! Call somebody who is guaranteed to put a smile on your face and make you forget whatever struggle or negativity that was on the mind. This could be your best friend, significant other, or family member. Give the first person who popped into your head a call, and it's sure to be a quick fix to whatever has you down.

I promise, if your mind seems to be racing more than usual, or you feel a bit down in the dumps, these tips will definitely help you out.