10 Things To Help You Take Care Of Your Mental Health During Midterms Season

10 Ways To Take Care Of Your Mental Health During Midterms Season

Take care of yo'self!

256
Photo by Katya Austin on Unsplash

Midterms season is one of the most stressful times of the year, and a lot of students forget to make time for themselves and end up being overwhelmed and overexerted. Here are some ways to melt away that mid-semester stress.

1. Take care of your skin.

EveryPixel

Stress = acne. One of my favorite things to do during midterms is to put on a face mask while I study. Get one that's lavender or tea tree oil-scented to help keep you relaxed.

Not only will your stress levels drop, but your skin will also thank you.

2. Reward yourself.

EveryPixel

Something that I have a huge problem with during midterms is staying motivated. I've found that as long as I break things up into small portions, I can get it all done - but not everybody has time for that.

If you're a person who only has one or two days a week to study and do homework, give yourself breaks between each assignment or each subject. Go get some snacks, go for a walk, or just get up and stretch.

This way, all of your subjects won't bleed together and you'll retain more information in the long run.

3. Do some aromatherapy.

EveryPixel

Essential oils are an absolute necessity during stressful times, and midterms is no exception. Find out what oils are your favorite, and get a diffuser to run while you study. Just don't forget to make sure they're safe for your pets.

4. Take a bath.

EveryPixel

Sometimes, I swear, Epsom salts can absorb stress. You can use a nice bath to do some skincare, aromatherapy, or just to relax and meditate between homework assignments.

5. Don't use it as an excuse to eat poorly.

EveryPixel

If you eat McDonald's for every meal, that's your business. However, you shouldn't use midterms as an excuse to change your diet at all, let alone to one that is more unhealthy.

Use meal prepping to your advantage, and make meals for a couple of days at a time. That way, you only have to take small breaks to heat up some food, instead of having to cook a whole meal.

6. Don't skip your weekly gym visit.

EveryPixel

If you don't normally go to the gym, I don't blame you for not wanting to go during midterms either. However, if you have a routine and go once or twice a week, midterms shouldn't stop you.

Chances are if you're regularly going to the gym, you probably enjoy it, so use it as a time for yourself! Exercise can really improve concentration and help you get your mind off of studying for a while.

7. Get organized.

EveryPixel

I'm the kind of person who gets stressed out very easily if things are out of order, so one of my favorite things to do during midterms is to make a calendar.

You don't have to go out and buy one, just DIY one with some printer paper and a pen. This way you'll have all of your assignments and due dates written down and (hopefully) won't forget anything.

8. Go to your local shelter.

EveryPixel

One of the most therapeutic things to do is hang out with animals. Most shelters will be ecstatic to have an extra volunteer, but some require you to go through training, so make sure to check out the rules at your local one.

If you aren't able to volunteer, just hang out with the animals who are there!

9. Get a massage (if you have the money).

EveryPixel

Stress makes you tense, so if you can afford it, go to a massage therapist. If you can't afford it, go to the chiropractor, which most insurances cover at least 50% of.

10. Remember that it's not the end of the world.

EveryPixel

Midterm-season is a stressful time, yes, but it's not your defining moment in life. Like all stressful things, it will pass.