6 Things I Wish I Would Have Known As A High School Freshman

Entering freshmen year can be overwhelming and stressful, but these six tips from a recent high school graduate will help you to succeed in high school.

229
Tumblr

As a recently graduated high school student on the way to college in just a few weeks, I have been thinking a lot about what it will feel like to be a freshman again. The last time I was a freshman, I was a shy, eager, and somewhat socially awkward fourteen-year-old with absolutely no idea in the world how to successfully master high school. Say what you may, but high school isn’t all about the academics. It’s a complicated labyrinth of socializing, studying, newfound responsibility, relationships, and commitments that can be overwhelming and difficult to balance. I had to learn a lot of this balancing act on my own through trial and error, but would’ve greatly benefitted from some sage advice from a “seasoned high school pro”. Before I find myself as a freshman again on a more collegiate level, I thought it would be fitting to provide my top 6 tips to freshmen on succeeding in high school.

1. Prioritize Your Grades

I know this one seems like common sense, but you would be surprised at the amount of freshmen who are oblivious to the impact the grades they receive their first year of high school have on their GPA. It’s easy to think you’ll be able to pick up the slack later, but that’s not always the case. Do your work, try your best, and believe me, in four years, your senior-self will thank you when you receive that acceptance letter from your dream school, or the scholarship that makes furthering education a possibility. College is EXPENSIVE, and getting good grades now can help you get money for college later.

2. Be Involved

I can personally testify to how important being involved is. When I started freshman year, I was a victim of the “get in, get out” mentality regarding high school, which plagued me for the majority of my freshman and sophomore year. At the beginning of my junior year, however, I decided to be more involved within my school, and it enhanced my high school experience immensely. I met new people, had new experiences, and learned things about myself I would have never known otherwise. Not only does involvement make high school more fun, it will enhance your resume when you are applying for colleges. Don’t make the mistake I did and wait until you are an upperclassman to get involved: start now. Whether it be sports, theater, student council, or an after-school club, find something you are passionate about, and do it!

3. Be Friends With Everyone

I know you are probably rolling your eyes right now, and if I was in your shoes, I would be too. “Be friends with everyone? Yeah, right.” you’re saying. Now I don’t mean that you have to go to movies and hang out with your entire class on the weekends (and quite frankly, I think that sounds terrible), but rather to be kind to everyone. Don’t be the person who alienates him or herself to one group of friends for four years and calls it good. Chances are, if you reach out, other people will too. Some of my greatest friendships in high school were unexpected and not with people not in my immediate “group,” but with underclassmen, upperclassmen, and people in my grade who were in different “social circles”. When it comes to friendships, don’t limit yourself.

4. Reach Out To Your Teachers

Believe it or not, most teachers are in the classroom because they love teaching. Crazy, right? Not only do teachers love teaching, but they love their students. I cannot speak on behalf of every teacher, but if you are lucky enough to have good ones, reach out to them! Forming relationships with your teachers is a great way to receive further wisdom, support, and chances are, if you are stuck in an academic rut, they will be there to help you.

5. Be a Part of Something "Bigger"

I believe volunteering is something that should be a part of any well-rounded lifestyle, and what better time to start than you first year of high school? Find an organization or something that you believe in and get behind it, devoting a bit of your time and energy to something that’s outside yourself. This will challenge you, and make you feel better about yourself because you will be helping out a cause you believe in!

6. Go To School Events

Even if you are that person who hates everything school related and has zero school spirit, do yourself a favor and go to at least one football game. Go to your homecoming dance. Go to your school’s fundraisers. Go to prom. High school events are some of my favorite memories from high school, and will probably be yours too, if you go! Don’t miss out on events because you “don’t like football” or “didn’t have a date”. Make memories and have fun!

Everyone has a unique high school experience, and I think that is what makes these exciting four years so great. Even though I believe that all of this advice is important from personal experience, I truly beleive most important thing you can do in high school is soak up every experience and get the most out of it as possible. Make friends, study hard, and have fun!