6 Reasons Why You Should Take A Nap Right Now

Because it's never a wrong time to nap.

80

To nap or not to nap? That is the question. Admit it, you've found yourself debating this at least once during your life so far. For some, naps are a way to recover from sleep-deprivation and regain alertness while for others, it's a nice reprieve from the heap of work they have to get done. Regardless of your reasons, it is always in your best interest to nap. Here's why.

1. Napping increases alertness and productivity.

NASA conducted a study with sleep-deprived military pilots and astronauts, and the results of this study showed that naps improved their performance by 34 percent and increased their alertness by 100 percent. When you're tired, all you want to do is sleep, and the last thing you want to do is more work. Thus, you're more likely to make mistakes when you work due to a decrease in your cognition. Instead, if you take that nap, you'll feel refreshed and you'll be ready to tackle whatever life throws at you.

2. It improves memory.

As you sleep, your most recent memories are sent to the neocortex, which stores semantic memories, or memories that involve facts and general knowledge. This is also why it is beneficial to study right before you sleep, just as an FYI. Therefore, taking naps will help your memory retention. Naps can also improve your working memory. If you are more alert, you will be more inclined to pay attention to all of the details while completing a task. So the next time you're caught snoozing at work, you have a valid excuse for your lapse.

3. It improves mood.

It's no secret that people become cranky when they're tired. Naps can help this. When you sleep, your body releases serotonin, which is a hormone that regulates your mood. Specifically, it improves your mood and increases your happiness and contentment. Happy naps = happy life.

4. It reduces stress and improves your health.

If you're sleep deprived, you're likely to have high levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, in your body. You don't need a scientist to tell you that stress is bad for you. Your immune system is actually responsible for clearing out the excess cortisol in your body, but if it's too busy cleaning that up, it's not doing what it's supposed to do, which is to fight any invading pathogens that might make you sick. Naps have been shown to decrease cortisol levels, at least during the nap itself, so it reduces the stress on your body (literally). In addition, if you take a nap, you won't be as tired and, therefore, you won't be as likely to consume harmful foods to increase your alertness, such as sugar, caffeine, or other energy drinks. Your body does so much for you; the least you can do is give it a break and take a nap.

5. It increases your creativity.

Studies have shown that after waking from a nap, the activity in the right hemisphere of your brain, which is involved in creativity, actually increases significantly. In addition, dreams also help you be more creative, according to a National Geographic study. So extend that nap and enter REM sleep if you're trying to find a creative solution to a problem. Sweet dreams.

6. Because you deserve it.

At this point, it's a no-brainer: you should definitely take a nap. Go on. You've been working hard and you need some rest. You are not a robot. A tiny nap won't hurt you. If anything, there are only benefits to this wonderful activity. Happy napping.