6 Reasons Why It's Better To Be An Out-Of-State College Student

No more surprise visits from Mom and Dad!

14

It’s one thing to move away from home and start college, but it's a unique experience when you attend a college out of state. While your friends are saying goodbye to their parents, you may hold on to your mom a little longer because, unlike them, you won’t be seeing them in a week or so. When life gets hard and you have to make some tough decisions, you can’t just get in your car and drive home to talk them over with your parents while your mom, conveniently, does your laundry for you. Now, you have to make those decisions. In a way, you’re kind of on your own. Here are six ways that being an out-of-state college student is actually better for you

1. No “surprise visits” from Mom and Dad.

If your parents want to see you (which they will, so just figure out when parent weekend and make sure your room is clean), they have to plan a visit. Trust me, they won’t drive more than five hours to come see you if they didn’t know you would be there.

2. More care packages!

Sooner or later, your parents are really going to miss you. And when that happens, you will more than likely receive a box of goodies in your campus mailbox. It’s great! All the things you’re craving from home but are too poor to buy come in one little box! (Just don't be a jerk and forget to send your parents a nice, heart felt, handwritten thank you note.)

Related: 6 Realizations Of An Overcommitted College Student

3. For short holidays, you become someone’s “Adopt-A-Child.”

I can’t tell you how many parents have offered for me to come over to their house on short holiday breaks. They understand that at these times in particular, you really miss your family. So, don’t feel bad for taking your friends parent’s up on their offer and hang with them for the holiday! Chances are, they will have amazing home-cooked food and will do anything to make you feel comfortable.

4. You actually learn how to do laundry.

Even though there are kids who go away for college, many of them still go home every weekend, so their parents will do their laundry for them. Well, you don’t have that opportunity, so grow a pair and figure it out. Chances are, you will respect your clothes and your mom more for doing it for you all those years.

5. You’ll never miss anything fun on the weekends.

Let’s face it, you’ll always be here on the weekends, so you’ll never miss anything fun or exciting! If your college has any bit of college life on their campus, which they probably do, don’t be afraid to pay the $5 and go kayaking! This will be a way to meet some great new friends and do something exciting! Trust me, you will miss your parents less when you’re actually doing something.

6. You’ll realize how much you love and appreciate your family.

My senior year of high school was pretty hard on my relationship with my mom. By the time moving in for college came around, I was ready to go and my mom was practically pushing me out the door. Yes, I had a great freshman year, but the space between my family and I makes me miss them that much more. I don’t take holidays for granted anymore. As an out-of-state college student, you start to realize how much you love your family. My mom is probably one of my best friends (yes, I call her almost every day so stop judging), and I wouldn’t have it any other way. The distance between you will make you realize how lucky you are and how much your family loves you.

Yes, living out of state is hard, but it’s a great learning experience. You are thrown into uncomfortable situations in which you are going to sink or swim, and that’s OK! Embrace your newfound independence and learn about yourself. You’re an adult now, and the most important thing to remember is that you can do this... and to remember to call home on Sundays.